Chapter 7

There she was. Again. Okay, if this didn't stop soon, surely the princess's guards would be after an alleged stalker. And the last thing Han needed right now was a second bounty over his head. He sighed, quickly turning away with Chewie in toll. Down the street they went.

  "Say, Chewie. I was checking out the turret guns' displays and I think I found the cause of that glitch. We might have to reboot the logs, though . . ."

  [How are the two even connected that we'd have to do that?] Chewie growled, nearly swiping Han aside as he threw out an arm.

  "I don't know, but it will keep us occupied for a few days."
  [Look, Cub. If this is about Bria-]

  "Chewie, please don't even start. Really, I'm fine. It doesn't matter."
  [Anything you say, Cub. How about we get started on those repairs? I'm sure we'll find plenty to fix,] he said, slinging his arm around Han's shoulders.

------------------------------------------

  Why did it all have to be so kriffing romantic? The red table cloth, the candles, the red wine? The restaurant itself. Sure, it was no big bill for an Alderaanian noble, but did he have to try so hard? "Thank you again for joining me tonight," Raal smiled gently, taking Leia's coat for her before she sat and pulled out her chair.
  "Well, Raal," Leia gave him her greatest animated smile as she sat down and spread her napkin over her lap. "You can thank my aunts because, quite honestly, I didn't want to come tonight."

  "As I am well aware." His shoulders relaxed and he leaned closer to the lit candle in the middle of the round table. He snatched Leia's hand from beneath the table and held onto it firmly. "Look, Leia. I know you're under a lot of pressure and I get that. Just because I proposed while everyone else is trying to win your hand isn't because I'm trying to win you for my own house. You have to believe me, Leia. I'm scared of losing you, Leia. That thought . . ." he shook his head. "It terrifies me. I can't lose you. I love you, Leia. I always have. You wouldn't turn that down just to join the House Cortess, would you?"

  Leia's eyes went a little wide and jerked her hand back, asking Raal, "Where would you get the idea that I would even consider accepting Gram's proposal? I thought I had made it clear to everyone that I'm not marrying this year. I'm not marrying you nor Gram nor anyone else."

  "Then, at least give me your promise, Leia. The media will be pleased, Alderaan assured, and we can court as long as you'd like. We don't have to marry until you're ready."
  "Are you even listening?" Leia gave a short, cutoff laugh. "I don't want to make any sort of commitment right now-"
  "Commitment? You're scared of commitment?"
  "I never said that! Raal, right now, I just feel like . . . it's not the time. I'm not ready to get married right now."
  "But, you're taking the throne!"

  "And what if I don't? Raal, would you even have proposed to me if you knew I wasn't going to take the throne. What if Bornan took the throne instead? As soon as he and Aryn are married, they take the throne, would you even have proposed to me?"

  "Of course, Leia. Our families have been anticipating this since we were youngsters. I'll give you all the time in the galaxy. Please, Princess, just give me your word."
  Leia could only shake her head for a long moment. Even as the waitress came up with their menus, Leia couldn't ignore the continuous feeling of isolation and confusion. The harder she tried to make people understand, the smaller she felt amidst everyone who was trying to tell her what exactly she was doing wrong and how she needed to fix it. Even she didn't fully understand why she was doing it. She could only describe it as a 'gut feeling'.
  Before she could even think of something to say, she saw a figure a ways behind Raal. Leaving the restaurant with a wookiee, he looked exactly as Winter had describer her "looker". And Leia knew it was him because of the Corellian Blood stripe down his pants and the typical Corellian way he carried himself, cocky, overly confident and flamboyant. Leia scoffed at the sight and motioned one of Raal's bodyguards closer.