Chapter 19

The next morning, the Organa kitchen was a site buzzing with excitement from the previous day's activities. Servants and cooks were everywhere, cleaning up the mess and trading rumors on whatever had ended the party so early. It had gone around that the princess had in fact chosen a consort and the two had ditched the ball for their own celebration. The mere thought disgusted Breha, but she refused to let it bother her since she knew the truth. Leia had been in bed all night, recovering from mild dehydration and what Sabé claimed to be lack of rest and proper meals. Whatever, Breha thought. All that mattered was that Leia should soon be better and find some time to make that announcement. Rouge and Celly had gone off last night, sniffing their noses all around the palace in search of Leia's speech, anxious to know who she had finally chosen. Due to the speech not being delivered, the announcement unmade, the Hapans were still on Alderaan, much to Queen Breha's disappointment and growing impatience.

  Breha ignored the workers in their rush and went about the palace, looking for Bail to discuss said matters. After a while of searching, the Alderaanian queen found her husband in his study, at his desk, a datapad in hand. He looked just about as pleased as Breha felt, but like it was more serious. That worried her right from the start. Sucking in a breath, she approached the opened door. The viceroy looked up when Breha entered, sighing and not bothering with kind or proper greetings before getting to the dirt. He handed her the device and told her, "Come, look at this," he said while a dark shadow haunted his soft features. "Tell me what you think."

  Breha took the device and examined the document it currently had open. On sight, Breha realized it was a set of plans. Like a model or a blueprint to building something. When she continued looking, she believed it to be a small space station until she took a better look. It was of a spherical shape, painted gray with a crater on its top side.

  No, it wasn't exactly a space station. Its design and model suggested something more sinister for a purpose, something more than a mere space station. Breha marveled at the genius work of architecture until she realized what exactly the plans were for. It was a super-weapon, a space station bent on destruction, licensed and made by the Empire itself, this was made to kill and destroy and rule with an iron fist. It was made to make an example of those who resisted the Empire and spoke out against it, made to make an example of Rebels.

  "We don't have time," Bail said, his voice shaky with fear and concern. "Leia needs to choose, take the throne, help us help Alderaan. Breha, we can't wait any longer."

  "Where did you get this?" Breha asked, holding up the datapad. Bail took a small, black chip from its port and held it up for Breha to see. "They call it a Death Star. The Empire is already building it, but they haven't yet realized we've taken their plans. It's been a string of passing it down and around and a lot of different groups have found this, passing it to the next person higher up. It was given to Mothma who gave it to me. This is our chance to destroy it before they even know we have their plans.

  "Don't you see? This is their chance to destroy any all signs of resistance under the Empire's foot. In a single moment, they could destroy anyone they fear may mean trouble for them. They could destroy us."

  "But it would strengthen the Alliance! If it were to be threatened, they would only become stronger, not cower in fear of the Empire. Isn't that its purpose, anyway? To rebel against the Emperor and all that he stands for?"

  "No. That's what Leia and Luke are for. The Alliance is just to eliminate their smaller obstacles. This is what I mean, Breha," Bail stepped closer to her, his eyes wide in fear and alarm. "This just puts us that closer to when we lose Leia."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  It was official. Last night had been the greatest night of Han Solo's life. Thus far. Yes, the kiss had been amazing and Han could hardly believe that it was Leia's first. He had been just as nervous as she which had surprised him. It hadn't been his first, but he'd never been nervous about it. Not even with his first. Leia had a funny way of doing things like that to him. Catching him off guard, causing him to trip over his own feet, sneaking up on him and startling him even when he'd known she was there the whole time. Whenever he was around her, his stomach would start doing flips, his breath would suddenly catch, and his heart would start thumping, pounding in his chest, the sound of his blood flowing would thunder in his ears. His layers would all peel off, leaving him naked before Leia, an open book in the presence of the woman he couldn't help but fall for.
  Yes, Han was falling for her. All of her. Bit by bit, piece by piece, Han was beginning to deeply love every part of Leia. Her passion which burned so bright. Her loyalty that kept her tied to the palace, to her people. Her selflessness that denied her any real freedom. Her sharp tongue that was always striking at Han, providing Han someone who could finally match him, offer him a challenge. Her determination, fierceness, head-strong personality, fiery attitude. And Han loved her for it all.