Chapter 29

Han spun around in search of the shooter, trying to see who had been shot. His guards all stepped away just the few inches far enough for Han to make this action as well as fall to the floor and start crawling away. Immediately following the shot, chaos ensued and it was easy for Han to sneak away. Although, he wasn't sure what to do. He couldn't even see Leia anymore. For all he knew, she could be on the other end of the room already. Han's only fear was that she'd been shot.

  Han hurried to one end of the room and braced himself against the wall. A fight had suddenly broke out and Han had no idea what was going on. His eyes surveyed the mess until he saw a familiar walking carpet headed his way. "Chewie!" Han called out to the wookiee and, in an instant, his best pal had him up in his arms, Han's feet hanging above the ground. "Hey, buddy! It's great to see you, but I'm not going to lie. I'm kind of mad at you for bringing Leia here."

  [No,] Chewie shook his head, his furry hands holding Han by his shoulders. [I'm helping you. You can thank me at the wedding.]
  "But, Chewie-"
  [I think the princess is over there,] he pointed across the room. [She needs you, Han; her scoundrel in shining armor.]
  Again, Han had no words. He understood that his friend was only trying to help, but Chewie didn't seem to understand that it was going to make things worse. He needed be sure Leia was away from here. He did another visual scan of the room, this time looking for Jabba. Whatever was going on, he had to get back to his plan. Quick and simple. He needed to turn himself in. And now.
  Han pushed through the crowd, trying to make his way to the dais. He managed his way through and found Jabba there again, his face not betraying his outrage. Swinging his hands around his head, he shouted at Han, [Solo! I shall have you hanging on my wall for causing this outrage-]
  "It wasn't my plan. I swear! I didn't call them here."

  Jabba considered Han's words. He motioned one of his guards forward and told him, [I want the girl, too. Whoever she is. Bring her up to my dais.]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  The place was a mess, everyone caught up in a brawl that Leia had no idea how it'd even started. All she knew was that it was a good distraction to stall for time to find Han. That, and angry patrons were swarming around her. She pulled a staff from a guard's grasp and held the mob back at bay. Suddenly, Sabé came to her side and smiled. "I got your back."
  "Thanks. I have no idea what's going so, so it's good to have some help."

  "I don't either. I assume a furious patron didn't care for the interruption in punishing your boyfriend and was aiming for you. I'm not sure if someone was actually killed or not. I'm just glad you're okay."
  "I thought Han might have been shot, but I swore I heard him yelling a minute ago."

  "I have no idea. Let's just hope for the best, shall we? Now, as for these angry customers, I get the ones to your right."
  "Thank you."

  Leia continued fighting off her attackers with her newly-acquired staff when something else caught her eye. Sitting on the dais, appearing rather afraid, was one of Jabba's slaves, a twi'lek dancing girl. Pity and sympathy grabbed at Leia's heart and she called out to her, "What's your name?"

  The girl turned to look at Leia and frowned, shaking her head vigorously.

  "No! Calm down! I mean you no harm! All I mean to tell you is that . . ." she gestured with a nod of her head to her chains and Jabba. "Now's your chance."

  The girl looked at her chains and at Jabba, too. Understanding flooded her system and she smiled at Leia. "Oola," she said. "My name is Oola."

  "Alright, Oola. You know what to do. Pull. Tight."
  Oola nodded and threw her chains about her master's neck. Jabba let out a startled scream and his fat tail thumped against his platform. But, amidst the chaos. no one took any notice to the crime lord as Oola began tugging tighter and tighter on her chains. Leia cheered her on, encouraging her, urging her to pull tighter and tighter . . . until the hutt was nothing more than a dead, gooey, mess of lob on the platform. Leia smiled both to congratulate the twi'lek and out of relief. She turned back to the fight, dealing with a persistent male twi'lek. Finally, she settled to shoot him. That was when she heard his scream.