Chapter 10

"Might I say, Queen Mother, it is quite the honor to be speaking with you!" Rouge Organa practically exploded, falling to the floor in her deepest, most regal bow she could manage. "Welcome to our home. The palace of the House of Organa is at your disposal, Queen Mother."
  The exquisite queen didn't so much as acknowledge the bow as she stepped around the woman to meet with the others of the Organa House. Her hands folded just below her chest and her wraps hanging off her shoulders, gathered in her arms, she took steady, measured steps until she was a few feet away from the Alderaanian viceroy and queen. Her female guards, all dressed in dark blue, figure-hugging uniforms with blasters, pistols and snipers hanging in dozens of pockets all over their outfit, reached the Alderaanians closer, though. They came flanking their own queen, but several closed the distance, surrounding the whole assemblage. Upon reaching a foot in distance to the Alderaanian queen, one of the Hapan queen's tallest, most built guards held up her  smallest pistol at level with Breha's neck.
  Queen Breha Organa of the Royal House of Alderaan didn't dare flinch under the notion. She forced herself to keep her gaze on the queen and not let anything her guards did disturb her, no matter how displeased it made her feel. She had to remind herself who she was dealing with. The Hapans were tricky people to deal with. Reclusive, rich and touchy, they stuck to themselves unless word of something worth their money reached ear. Breha knew that they needed whatever the Hapans were about to offer. The Rebellion, while impressive and growing, had great needs and Alderaan couldn't afford to make any moves on the Empire until the chances looked decent.
  In addition to their wealth and reclusive-ness, the Hapan system was exclusively known for their striking beauty. Many different systems had a different look to their people, a uniqueness that picked them out in a crowd, but the Hapans, mostly humans with a few other species, always had sharp features, long, thick, glossy hair and a seductive something to them that told them apart from, say, Alderaanians or any other human, really. They took deep pride in their beauty, tended to their makeup oh so carefully and dressed in the most expensive cloths the galaxy wove. But, there was one thing that the Hapans treasured more than their beauty, one thing they would die in a heartbeat for, one thing they worshiped like a god. Their queen.
  Mostly going by the title 'Queen Mother', the Hapan Queen was highly respected and came with a whole list of protocol on how to greet her, speak about her, and many other things. If anyone were to improperly title her or refer to her as an equal of her people . . . Breha barely stopped herself from shivering at the thought of messing up this meeting. Public humiliation, a lost opportunity, no special resources for the Rebellion. She straightened her posture to be sure she was standing tall enough and bowed how she and Tia had practiced all evening, muttering a Hapan phrase that claimed the Queen Mother to be the one with no equal. "Ereneda," Breha said. Beside her, Bail bowed just as deeply ans repeated the phrase, using his clearest, proudest voice. And behind them, the palace's full staff fell to a bow before the Queen Mother who had just departed her own personal ship. Looking down on the Aleraanian rulers, she spoke for the first time to them. "Rise!" she directed in a sharp, Hapan accent-plagued voice and Breha and Bail rose. "Take me to your place of meeting that I may meet your princess."
  "Yes, Queen Mother," Bail agreed, turning to head for the palace's backyard court. "This way, please." Bail led the queen and his own wife for the courtyard, his sisters slowly following behind the Queen Mother, Ta'a Chume, and her flock of guards. In the courtyard behind the palace was a long table set for the Queen Mother, her son, one retainer, one guard, the viceroy and his wife and several other Organas, the rest of the table reserved for members of the other Alderaanian Houses.

  Without even asking, which was fine to Bail at the moment, the Queen Mother's top retainer presented her to her chair at the head of the table and took the seat at her left, leaving Bail and Breha to seat themselves across from each other, Bail two seats over from Ta'a Chume's right. One Hapan Royal Guard occupied the awkwardly empty seat and the other seats slowly began to fill in.
  Now seated with most of the party, Ta'a Chume introduced her retainer to the Organas and told them, "This is Trisdin. He is my most trusted retainer and he shall bear full witness to this meeting. He acts as a high dignitary or, perhaps, a representative of myself. We share thoughts and none of your party is to interrupt him. Is that much understood, Viceroy?"
  "Of course," Bail smiled pleasantly, folding his linen napkin over his lap. "We have studied and are already familiar with many of the traditional Hapan customs. Your way of life is understood by us."