Chapter 17

Only a few more hours until my session with Sabé, Leia reminded herself while Celly, Rouge, and Tia continued their work on her dress. Only a few more hours until I get to leave. And maybe I'll catch Han again. The thought was enough to help Leia fight back another protesting utterance as she fancied all that the two would discuss in eachother's company. After the air had been cleared, Han had started making a point of visiting her, really talking with her, listening. Of course, he always had, but, somehow, things had become serious in a way. Their meetings weren't so much as a joke and they valued the time they got together. However, as if they had somehow found out, Leia's aunts had started to "borrow" Leia more often for preparing for dates, party plans, and other tedious tasks Leia had wanted to run away from. And with her birthday fast approaching, plans for her ball had come in full swing and the Organa sisters had themselves shoulder-deep, pulling Leia with them. When Rouge had come to realize that she often couldn't get done all that she wanted to each day, she'd brought the matter to Bail who had, in response, limited Leia's training time with Sabé. Every minute she got with her mother-figure was a precious moment not to be wasted. There was only so much time in a day, Leia realized, and she couldn't afford to waste the time she got with Sabé and Han.
  Standing before the tall vanity in Aunt Tia's room, Leia was dressed in a long scarlet red gown with the top tight-fitting while the skirt was bigger, dragging behind her when she walked. Leia couldn't deny that the dress was very gorgeous, but the intentions behind her birthday look weren't so pretty. At least not to Leia. She'd already known it would be this day that Alderaan's citizens, her suitors, and the media expected her to announce her marriage selection, but it was a month away and Leia had no idea what she would tell everyone when she got up on the stage and approached the microphone. That terrified her, preparing to address an expecting crowd and only having words to say that would please noone. Again, she silently whispered to herself, You don't belong here, Leia. You don't belong on a throne. You don't belong anywhere near here. Why are you still here?
  She shook the thought away, returning her gaze to the vanity to take in her aunts' work even as they continued. Tia stood from pinning up her skirt to take out a lipstick from her makeup clutch and paint over Leia's thin lips with its vibrant red color. Red, to match her dress, Leia supposed. Then, she ran over her eyes with an eyeliner while Celly finished pulling her hair back into a sloppy yet composed mess of curls. They stepped back to admire their own work and smiled, absolutely delighted with their art. Leia stood straighter, squared her shoulders, and formed a pleasant smile as though she were at the party. Tia smiled, her shoulders shrugging with the expression. "Oh, Lelila!" she squealed, reaching out to simply pull a strand of hair loose from the rest. "There. You look absolutely darling! Just wait until your father sees."
  Rouge snickered and took her niece's hand while Leia stepped off the small podium and into a pair of black slippers. "I don't think Daddy will approve, but he'll cry with pride. We'll have our little girl married the night of the party!"

  Leia tried to forget Rouge's last comment and held up her skirt while she made her way down to the main, ground level of the palace. Her aunts followed, still giggling and beaming at her. Standing in the center of the mess were Bail and Breha, surrounded by party coordinators and other specialists. But when Leia came, they all stopped to watch the elegant princess. "Oh, Lelila," Bail muttered, taking in the image of his daughter, all grown up, dressing for her own party at which she'd become engaged. Had that much time really gone by that Leia was no longer the baby girl he'd adopted all those years ago. It made the viceroy feel old, but there she was again and pride bloomed in Bail's chest as he watched her approach. "You look wonderful," he managed, taking his daughter into his arms once she was close enough. "You always do, but today . . ."

  Leia smiled up at him, her arms still holding his. "Yes, Papa?"

  "Today, you look extravagant; older than I thought you were. Where's my little girl?"