4

Yaku Morisuke

Oh my goodness, I thought wildly as I swung the door open, my eyes wide.

"Hi, Morisuke~!" the familiar black-haired girl cried cheerfully, launching herself at me.

"A-ah!" I cried out, regaining my balance as she pulled back, blood rushing to my face. "N-Naomi?! What are you doing here?"

"Surprise, I'm back!" she grinned, holding her hands up in a victory sign.

I bit my lip. When did she get here? She's supposed to be all the way in America!

"So, I was wondering if you were free today... you know, to hang out? It's a beautiful day today~!"

I rubbed the back of my neck, flustered at her direct question.

You haven't changed at all, Naomi...

"Uh, I... don't really know..."

"Aww, come on, Mori-kun~! I haven't seen you in months!"

More like years...

She took my hand and intertwined her fingers, giving me a pleading look.

I looked away. "You disappear for years without telling me, without a proper goodbye, and now you suddenly come back?" I muttered.

Her face lost its usual cheerfulness, and she dropped my hand.

"And right after everything that had happened with my father... I relied on you, you know?"

"Morisuke... I'm sorry, alright...?"

I stayed silent, not knowing what to say in response to that. After all, would sorry really do much?

"H-hey! Who's that?" she said suddenly, her gaze directed behind me.

I turned around to see a familiar blonde stop in her tracks.

"Oh, Konimi-san, you're awake," I said, my expression softening. I made no mention of last night, but I was thinking about it.

If only she let me help her!

I waved her over to introduce her to my childhood friend.

"Hi there!" Naomi chirped, cheerful once more. "I'm Suzuki Naomi! It's nice to meet you!"

"Konimi Cosette."

"Ehh~! You're foreign?"

Konimi nodded silently.

"I haven't seen you around before! Are you new?"

She nodded wordlessly again, and I couldn't help but smile.

She's so much like Kenma sometimes.

Naomi turned to me.. "She's gorgeous, Mori-kun! Are you two---"

"I-iie!" I cried out immediately.

Why does everybody assume that?!

"Sh-she's just staying here because of, er---"

"Personal issues," Konimi mumbled, finishing my sentence. I sent her a grateful look.

Naomi raised her eyebrows. "Are you sure?"

"I promise you."

She grinned playfully. "So you're available, then, aren't you?"

My mouth dropped open, and I stared at her in bewilderment. "I---"