8

Third Person

"It's their break, Ayame-chan," Naomi smiled, nodding her head in the direction of the team of the silver-haired setter. "Why don't we go talk to them?"

"Yeah, I'd want to get to know them a bit more," Seira shrugged. "You'll get to talk to your prince charming."

"He isn't, he isn't! He's just... cute and all. But I don't like him that way! I barely know him!" Ayame huffed indignantly. "And I don't need your help to talk to him!"

And she went straight over to them.

"Sugawara-kun!"

The setter turned, surprised to hear a girl's voice, then smiled at the brunette running towards him. "Oh! It's Honda-chan, isn't it?"

Ayame nodded, smiling back. "I watched a few of your matches earlier. Your team did great!"

Sugawara chuckled a little. "That's really nice of you to say, but I'd say we've lost a countless number of times... the teams here are too good!"

"Oh? You might've lost, but that doesn't mean you didn't play your best, right? If you played your best, then that's all that really counts in all of this..."

Ayame gestured around the gym.

"These schools are pretty much the top in the prefecture, I think, so it'd be hard to completely win against them. But... it would really be a great opportunity to get better and improve, you know? Learn better techniques and all that?"

Sugawara blinked rapidly, at a loss of words, then his expression softened. "I guess you're right," he smiled, ruffling her hair a little. "Thanks."

"What did we miss?" Seira grinned, putting a hand on her best friend's shoulder. "Hi again, Sugawara-san."

"You did great, Ayame-chan," Naomi teasingly whispered into her friend's ear.

The said brunette let out a sigh, shaking her head. "I'm telling you, that was a split-second daze, Naomi-tan!"

"They're pretty," said a hushed voice coming from behind Cosette.

"Are they managers, do you think?"

"But they're wearing red and black, they must be from Nekoma. Tora didn't say anythi---"

"...you two, you can stop staring at them, you know," the captain cleared their throat as the girls looked in their direction.

"Sorry about these two, they're quite..." his voice trailed off, unable to find the right word.

"It's alright," Naomi waved it away.

"I see you already know Sugawara?"

"Ah, yeah, I showed them the gym earlier, they got lost..." the said third-year awkwardly rubbed the back of his neck.

Brief introductions were made, and their ace appeared behind Daichi.

"It's nice to meet you four," Asahi smiled. "You're from Nekoma?"

Seira nodded. "The music and drama clubs have a production event here," she explained, "but today is a free rest day, so we decided to come and watch."

"Told you they weren't managers," Tanaka whispered to his friend.

Naomi turned to the libero, smiling. "Your receives were amazing, by the way, they're kind of like Mori-kun's!"

Nishinoya froze at the compliment, unsure how to respond.

"...say something, Noya-san!" Tanaka whisper-yelled.