12

Third Person

"I hear footsteps," Naomi whispered.

"Oooh, she's coming, she's coming," Ayame bounced.

"Chill, you two," Seira rolled her eyes.

The door clicked open, and all three girls immediately sat up.

"She's smiling!" Ayame cried.

"You're right, she is!" Seira's eyes widened.

Cosette paused, surprised that they were awake. "Ano..."

"So how was it?" Naomi tilted her head, a slight smile on her face.

"E-eh...?"

They stayed up this late to ask me questions...?

"You're back pretty late," Seira smirked. "Had too much fun?"

The blonde bit her lip, holding back a smile, but said nothing as she sat on her bed, quietly untying her shoes with the girls' eyes on her.

"Yep, she enjoyed it," Ayame declared, firmly crossing her arms over her chest. "She had fun."

"She's trying not to smile," Naomi giggled. "Let it out, Cosette-chan~"

"Oh, shut up," Cosette kept her voice monotoned, but she rolled her eyes playfully. "But... yeah, okay, it was fun. I guess."

Ayame squealed, high-fiving her best friend.

"Why are you acting so overexcited?" Cosette mumbled, going to the bathroom to change into her pyjamas. "It was... normal."

Not exactly normal, but they don't have to know that.

She looked straight at Naomi before she closed the door, and she didn't miss the spark of hope in the raven-haired girl's eyes.

"Cosette-chan?" came Naomi's soft, almost hesitant voice, when the blomde slipped into the covers.

The lights were off, and the rest of the girls' breathing were even and paced, signalling that they had fallen asleep.

"Yeah?" Cosette turned over to face her.

"Do you... kind of... understand love now?"

"Not in that aspect, no," Cosette said quietly, "but love... as in... caring for someone. I think I'll do fine in the recording tomorrow."

She thought the conversation was already done, but Naomi spoke up once more, her voice more timid than ever.

"Was it really just... normal...? Today, I mean..."

Cosette paused for a moment. She couldn't see Naomi's face, but she already had an idea of what it would have looked like.

"Naomi..."

"...yeah..."

"Do you like him?"

"...yeah, always have. But, I mean... if you... also..."

"Then I won't interfere." Cosette turned to look at the ceiling. "Whether or not today was special... he's a great person, but I don't... see him that way. Not the way you do."

Naomi's eyes widened. "R-really? A-are you really okay with it? I-I mean..."

"Go ahead. I'll... I'll support you."

A breath of relief escaped Naomi's lips, though Cosette could still sense hesitation.

"I call a truce, alright? He's all yours, Naomi. I promise."