Chapter 13 - Time Heals all Wounds

---13---

'Emi, we have proof that your sister Aya is still alive,'

I looked down, the words spinning in my mind, tumbling over one another. I needed air. I slid my chair back and stood up, still looking down, using my fringe to hide my eyes.

'Excuse me,' I whispered, turning on my heels and running out of the office, nearly taking Kakashi down. I burst out of the building, hearing my name being called. I ignored it and picked up speed. Suddenly I felt something different about myself. I looked down and saw paws carrying me. I came to a stand still and found a puddle. I looked at my reflection and found myself in my dog form. I blinked and looked back, expecting to find my clothes scattered everywhere but to my surprise, nothing. I sat back and tried to focus my thoughts and chakra. I transformed back into a human, clothes still intact and on my body. I changed forms a couple times, checking to see if I could really control my shape shifting abilities. Suddenly I heard Kakashi calling me. I growled to myself. I didn't really want to talk right now. I turned back into a dog and took off at lightning pace, hopefully not leaving a trail behind me for anyone to follow. I had no idea where I was heading, but I didn't really mind, I just needed some time alone to think, anywhere would be good for that...

------------

Kakashi's POV

Emi pushed past me, looking down. She took off out the door, leaving me to take everything in. Tsunade looked worried and she sighed.

'Kakashi, leave her be,' she told me. I shook my head.

'No, I have to follow her,' I insisted. 'Emi!' I called, taking off after her. I ran outside and stopped to ask villagers if they'd seen her. I bumped into Iruka and he grinned.

'Kakashi,' he greeted.

'Iruka, have you seen Emi?' I asked. He looked puzzled for a breif moment then he nodded.

'White hair with black ends, right?' he asked. I nodded.

'Okay, she went towards the forrest about five minutes ago,' he said, pointing in the direction she'd gone.

'Thanks,' I said, rushing off in the way he had instructed. I ran into the forrest, still calling her name. I thought I heard a deep growl come from somewhere and I ran forward.

'Emi!' I called. No reply. I stopped, slightly defeated and worried for her safety. I guess you could say I cared a lot about her.

'Kakashi,'

I turned and saw the Fifth Hokage standing, with her arms crossed.

'Leave her be, and let her come to terms with the news of Aya, alright? Don't try and force the poor girl to come home, she'll need a lot of time before that. Why don't you go home and wait, I'll have ANBU keep an eye on her, make sure that she doesn't try anything stupid. But you go home, don't stress yourself over this, I know how you feel for her...' she said. I blinked.

'What do you mean? I haven't got any-'

'You love her Kakashi, anyone could see that. It's a shame you're so hopeless at the romantic things, though. You two would make a pretty good couple,' Tsunade smirked, turning back.

'You're right,' I smiled under my mask. She chuckled to herself.

'Let's go back then Kakashi, let your girlfriend have some time to herself,' she said, waiting for me. I glanced out once more and prayed for Emi to come back to me safely, because Tsunade was right, I did love her, and it pained me to walk away from her when she needed someone most, but at the same time didn't want anyone at all. I followed the Hokage back into the village and went home, but that didn't stop me from worrying, from sitting by the window, waiting to see her come strolling back home. It didn't stop my heart aching either.

----------

Emi's POV

It had been nearly a few days now, okay maybe a week and a bit, to be percise but I hadn't had anyone chase after me. I was pleased to have some time alone, just me and my thoughts. I'd found a cave covered in moss and hidden by the long branches of a Weeping Willow tree. I'd hunted my food and drank from the nearby stream, obviously still in my dog form, but I'd kept myself busy too.

I'd been training, learning how to control my dog's form and my human form, also learning a bit about chakra and my abilities. I taught myself some handsigns and learnt how to evenly spread out the chakra in one part of my body for a period of time and even came up with my own jutsu. I was feeling pretty pleased with myself and by the end of the second week, I started home, in my dog's form though.

It was nightfall and I slowly padded through the empty streets that were lit up by the lights of the homes and shops. Naruto's ramen store was open, Ichiraku's I think. I walked on, and when I reached Kakashi's apartment, I carried straight on. I didn't stop to look back or anything but I just carried on. I headed instead, for the Hokage Residence. I stopped at the doors and found them locked. I growled deeply in irritation and clambered up the side of the building. I made my way to the roof and found the Fifth Hokage sitting there, looking up at the starry night sky. I perched myself on the railings and growled deeply. The Hokage wasn't startled.

'Emi, you came back,' she smiled at me. 'I knew you would,'

'I just needed some time,' I replied jumping down and padding over to her.

'And you took it, well deserved time,' she smiled. 'And I see you've mastered your family's kekkai genkai,' she said, impressed. I nodded and morphed back into my human form.

'I've been training too, and I've been thinking a lot. Tsunade-sama, I'm ready to meet Aya,' I told her, looking up at the starry night sky. A soft breeze blew, and my short hair danced in the wind.

'I had a feeling you'd say that,' she chuckled softly. 'Would you like to know a bit about her?'

I nodded, a small grin on my face.

'Yeah,' I whispered.

'Well, you said that she died when you were both 7, didn't you? So she was found by a Shinobi from the Sand Village found her and raised her, she came back to your Clan's original home here in Konoha as a transfer ninja. She trained here and achieved the rank of Jounin at age 15 and by age 18, Aya was an ANBU at the top of her game. She stayed here for another year and a half before returning home to the Sand Village, currently, she serves the Fifth Kazekage, Gaara and has her own squad. I also heard word that she's found herself a partner and had two children,' Tsunade smiled. I gasped.

'Wait, you mean that I'm an A-Auntie?!' I stammered. Tsunade nodded, smiling. I found myself smiling too. That meant that Mom and Dad were grandparents! And they were only in their mid-fourties! Unbelievable.

'Can I meet her?' I asked, my heart racing. Tsunade smiled and nodded.

'I'll arrange it all with Gaara tomorrow, right now, we should get some rest, I have a spare room in the Hokage Residences, come on down, it's late,' the Hokage smiled, leading the way. I followed her in, taking one last glance at the night sky. One star was the brightest out of all of them, and I thought of Kakashi, and our kiss. I had the strangest feeling and I felt slightly guilty about not going home to him first, but then again, I had a feeling he'd understand. But I looked at that star and thought of him, through all this he's been my light, my star and, then I realized...I think I love him...

---------------------------------------------