Chapter 3 - Meeting the Crew

---3---

'Emi?'

I lazily opened one eye and saw Kakashi poking his head through the door. I imagined myself smiling, if I were still human maybe I wouldn't look so creepy. I missed being human, I missed not crawling around on all fours, I missed wearing clothes, I missed my funky high tops and my air forces, but most of all, I missed my life, what I had before I died...

'Hai?' I yawned, stretching. Kakashi walked in. He crouched down to my height and tapped his headband.

'See this?' He asked. I nodded. 'This is my ninja headband, I got mine a few years back but I think that you should get yours soon...'

I tilted my head to the side, a ninja dog? That's the craziest thing I've ever heard but that explains a lot about Kakashi's headband. He laughed and patted my head.

'How can a dog become a ninja?' I wondered out loud. Kakashi performed some hand signs and places bother palms on the floor.

'Pakkun!' He said. Smoke appeared and when it faded, a pig with a similar headband to Kakashi sat there.

'Emi, this is Pakkun, a ninja hound,' Kakashi grinned. Pakkun stared at me with his creepy pug eyes. He raised one paw up an stared me in the eyes.

'Touch it,' he said. My eyes widened and I froze. WHAT did the creepy little pervert pug just say to me?!!?

'Gomen, but WHAT?' I asked shuffling back a bit.

'Touch it, my paw. It's really soft...'

I shook my head.

'It's cool, I think I'll pass on that one,' I laughed nervously. Pakkun sighed in defeat.

'You'll be sorry,' he mumbled, walking off. I glanced up at Kakashi who gave me a one eyed smile.

'Don't mind him Emi!' He stroked my head. I felt a roller coaster of weird mushy feelings. My heart's pace doubled.

Kakashi stopped smiling and stared at me. He'd probably noticed my ear. He carefully traced his finger across the scar that the bullet had punched through my ear.

'What's this?' He asked to no one in particular.

'A bullet wound,' I answered. He looked puzzles.

'A bullet, what's that?' He asked. I shook my head.

'Nothing, don't worry,'

Kakashi picked me up and put me on his shoulder.

'Let's go then, we have to meet the others before we can get you that headband,' he said.

------

They were all petting me like I was some kind of house pet. Well, technically I was. But it didn't mean that I liked it.

'So it's Sakura, Naruto and Sai, right?' I asked eyeing up the three strangers. Kakashi nodded.

'Right,'

'Hey Emi! Can you do tricks?' The blonde kid named Naruto asked. I sighed. I should've seen this coming.

'I dunno, gomenasai Naruto,'

'Well we'll find out soon enough,'

I looked to Kakashi, puzzles. He nodded at me and performed some hand signs. He then placed his hand on my back and I felt a strong feeling travel through my whole body. I glanced down and found my paws glowing blue, I gasped. No! I'm gonna turn into a giant fat blueberry girl like that greedy gum girl from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory! I cringed.

'That's an incredible amount of chakra for a dog, Kakashi Sensei!' Sakura quoted.

'Hai! Lets see what she can do,' Kakashi replied. Sai performed some hand signs of his own and a giant painted dog came charging towards Kakashi and I. Although it was a drawing, it looked fierce and ready to kill.

'You can do it girl!' Naruto cheered from the side. WHAT!? They wanted me to fight this thing? No way!

'Emi! Fight as if Kakashi Sensei's life depended on it!' Sakura called. I shook my head in fear. No! The last time I had to fight to save someone's life, someone got hurt, and I died trying. I couldn't do that again, I wouldn't allow myself to lose anyone again. I felt my whole body tense as the giant dog ran closer to me. I trembled and whimpered as the memories came flooding back.

---

'Emi! Help! Please!' I turned my head to the side, shocked to see my friend Lillie being cornered by a thug. I gasped.

'No! Lillie!' I yelled, desperately trying to get to her. I puched some bald guy in the stomach and pushed two identical thugs over. I reached her and kicked the thug, forcing him to face me. I drew my fist back and smashed it into his ugly face. I pulled Lillie free as the thug clutched his face and cried out.

'Get out of here!' I told her. She shook her head.

'We won't go without you Emi!' She said, looking me in the eyes. 'We won't let you die,'

-----

'Emi!?'

I snapped out of my trance but Kakashi's worried voice. The big dog was only a few meters away, it's mouth was foaming. My eyes widened and I quickly turned on my paws and raced off into the woods. I glanced back and saw Kakashi dove out of the way, then quickly got to his feet and followed my trail, the others not far behind him.

I'm so sorry Kakashi...

I ran into the woods and took refuge in an old hollow tree log. I buried my face in my paws and whimpered. I wanted to curl into a ball and cry my eyes out, I hated those moments, when it's up to you to save the day. Right now, I couldn't handle that responsibility, especially when I knew that I'd fail at it.

'Emi! Where are you girl?!' Voices called. I whimpered louder, hoping they'd hear me but hoping that I wouldn't have to face them.

I jumped when Naruto appeared inside my log. He looked stuck though...

'Hey guys, she's in here!' He called. 'Emi, are you okay?' He asked, wriggling a bit. I was about to answer but I was interrupted by voices outside.

'Sakura,'

'Hai, Sensei!' She replied. 'CHA!'

A huge hole was punched through the log and into the earth beside me, cutting down through a few layers. A pair of fingerless gloved hand reached in and pulled me out. Kakashi. I refused to look at him, ashamed of my cowardliness back there. He hugged me close to his chest. My eyes widened.

'Phew! You're okay! I was worried, I'd never have thought you'd freeze up like that Emi,' he said stroking my shaking body.

'I-I-I'm sorry Kakashi,' I whimpered. He shook his head.

'No, I''m sorry,' he said. 'But don't worry, everything's going to be okay now,'

---------------------------------------------

Hope I likey ^^ ;) arigato!!