Chapter 7

I'm sitting in a field. At first I thought I was alone, but Griffin soon appears from behind a tree. What else could be hiding in the woods?

Griffin sits down next to me, a respectable distance away. We silently sit there for what seems like forever. Eventually, Griffin's arm is wrapped around my shoulders.

There is a loud bang to our left. I squint in the general direction of the noise but see nothing. Of course Griffin does.

He shifts into a glorious copper wolf, I'm taken back by his size. I've never seen an Alpha so big.

Griffin protectively takes a defensive stance in front of me.

There is another loud commotion to our right.

The Clan emerges from the woods and a large group of rogues piles onto the field from the other side. The Clan immediately goes to battle with the rogues.

Griffin seems torn. Either protect his mate or his territory from the Hunters and rogues. He reluctantly stays by my side, killing any rogue that comes near.

He has a taste for blood, as do I. I want nothing more than to run into battle and slaughter rogue after rogue, but my body is paralyzed.

It's exactly like watching a movie, all the action is right in front of you but you're doing nothing to contribute, only watching the entire thing.

The rogues seem to overpower the Clan. Everyone is killed except Dad and Caine. Five rogues verses the last survivors of my family.

Caine and Dad take down two rogues immediately.

A rogue loops around the group fight, secretly about to pounce on Dad.

I try to shout a warning but my throat is closed. Griffin shoots me a wary look, he senses I'm trying to warn the Hunters, though he is trying to figure out why.

Caine senses the rogue and instantly turns around, beheading the wolf in mid air. While his back is turned, a different rogue lunges at my brother.

Caine opens his mouth to scream but no sound comes out. In his last moments of life, his gaze flickers to Griffin and then to me. The look basically yells that I'm a traitor.

Dad shoots the rogue off of Caine, but we all know it's too late. The rogue that had pounced on Caine, had been the last one left to fight.

Dad turns toward us. The only thing he sees is a werewolf holding his daughter captive.

He raises his bow slowly, pointing it straight at Griffin. Fear and horror consume my heart.

Dad don't! Please stop! I yell in my head.

Before Dad can even release the arrow, Griffin is on him in a heart beat.

Something deep within me is telling me that Griffin only sees a man pointing a weapon at his mate. He doesn't see the resemblance that Dad and I share. The same rich brown hair as me, but Caine's pale brown eyes.