23. Joelle

(A/N: play the song for more feels then keep on repeating till ur done reading for more feels lol but srsly.) 

Don't Let Her Go

"Are you ready to go?"

Romeo stuck his arm out and hooked for me to cling on. Today, he told me that he was taking me somewhere tonight, and yesterday was the day that Maddie and I had the 'talk', though Romeo had no idea about it.

He took me to In-N-Out, because he knew it was my favorite. But throughout the whole time, I can't help but just look at him. Something's different, I thought. "What's the matter?" He asked me, but I just smiled it off and shook my head no. "Have you eaten your lunch?" He asked me again and then I nodded. "Then why are you being like that?" He asked, worried.

 Touching his hand which was on the table, I gave it a squeeze. "I just missed you." I told him.

He smiled and he intertwined our fingers together. "Then that's a good thing, right?" He smiled again, but it was too odd.

I thought we were going to eat there, but when we got our food, it was all packed for a take out. Then, he pulled me for a walk, and he pulled out something from the bag as well. "A picnic?" I asked and I laughed because he settled the picnic blanket on the grass and he patted the space beside him for me to sit on as we started eating.

We talked about a lot of random things, but we ended up laying down together just watching the clouds and the sky. 

"That looks like a unicorn!" I squealed in cuteness and the fluffiness of the cloud took over me. He chuckled and he sat up.

He helped me up and then he let me lie down again as my head was on his lap. I looked at him straight in the eyes as he did too. We stayed like that for hours, just talking and looking in each other's eyes. I touched his hands and kissed them. "I wish we could stay like this forever." His eyes, his tone, and his touch felt promising but departing. 

But I shrugged them off, and I savored the moment to be with him.

After eating, and watching the clouds, he lead me to this building and he pulled me upstairs until we reached the rooftop, you know, something like the one in the novel Paper Towns. There, I saw the breathtaking Los Angeles beauty. The sun was setting, and it was perfect. But one thing that caught my eyes was a bunch of balloons. "Oh my gosh, this is so cute!" I squealed and Romeo chuckled as I ran to touch those. "What's going on, what are these for?" I asked him as I turned around to see him watching me with a weak, tired gaze.

He uncrossed his arms. "Nothing." He smiled. "Elle, can you please help me? Let's untie these balloons and free them." He told me. 

We both untied all the balloons, and kept it in our grip as we both let it go at the same time. "Wow." I was amazed, because it was too many so it was stunning as it floats in the air altogether, while the sun was about to completely go down. 

There was a touch on my right hand. "Elle?" He called me and he cupped my face as he pulled me for a kiss as I responded. He pulled away. "I love how balloons teach us to let go." He told me.

Resting my head on his chest, I breathed and relaxed. "Is this your way of saying you're letting go of the past and starting anew?" I asked calmly.

Romeo sighed. "Elle, this is my way of saying I'm letting you go." I bolted up a bit and looked at him in his eyes with pure worries and shock. "I'm letting us go." He whispered softly, not breaking contact.

Scoffing, I pushed him a bit. "What are you talking about, Romeo?" I asked.

He started tearing up. "You and I both know that you know what I meant, Elle." He's still looking at me in the eyes.