8. Senior Skip Day

Ariel's POV

"Zoey, I can't get out of the car." I say to her, my eyes laser focused on Luke and Dylan. My vision gets a little blurry, and I feel dizzy. "Come on Ariel. You look fine!" she says. My stomach flips. "Luke is in the doorway with Dylan! I can't walk in front of them looking like...this!" I say. "Look at me." she says. I turn my head slowly and look at her. "It doesn't matter what they say or think. You're gorgeous." she says softly. I smile because I know she's only saying it to relax me and Zoey gets out of the car.

Its now or never, Ariel. Luke probably won't even look at you. He and Dylan will be too busy staring at my gorgeous best friend to even notice that you're standing next to her. You can do this.

I unbuckle my seat belt slowly and hook my hand on the door handle. I push the door open and step out. "Let's do this." I say to Zoey. She smiles at me, grabs our bags from the back, and we walk up the walk-way to the house.

"Hey guys. Welcome to my family's beach house!" Dylan says, his eyes locked on Zoey. I steal a glance at Luke and notice he's staring at her too. Thank God for blessing Zoey with good genes.

"Come on in." Dylan says, stepping to the side and allowing us in. I glance over at Luke again, and he's not looking at me. At all. He's looking straight ahead now, staring at who knows what. I don't know why this bothers me, but it does. I shake the thought and follow Zoey and Dylan outside, Luke trailing behind us.

People have grouped together and are talking and laughing while some other people are splashing around in the pool. A few meters away, a giant blue ocean spreads far and wide. A few people dot the beach, either playing volleyball or tanning.

"Party looks great." I say nodding my head. "Thanks. So do you." Dylan says. My eyes widen, as I'm slightly taken aback by his comment. I was right: Dylan was the flirt. And Tyler was...I wasn't so sure about Tyler. Maybe he was OK. "Thanks." I say. "Dylan..." Luke suddenly says. "Alright, alright. Right this way ladies." Dylan says, leading us outside. "What was that about?" I whisper to Zoey. "No clue." she whispers back.

About two hours into the party, after lunch has been served, I find myself back inside. Most people have made their way to either the pool area or the beach, and only a few linger back inside the house. I plop down on the couch, diet coke in hand, and take a sip. I had hoped that I would be having more fun at this party, but I'm not. I know Zoey means well, but she ditched me a little while ago to talk to someone and then never found me.

I sigh and take another sip of my soda. I would rather be drinking a regular coke, because diet soda is awful for you, but there were none left. "What are you doing in here?" a voice asks me from behind. I turn around and see Luke standing there with two regular cokes. "I lost Zoey so I came inside." I say, taking another sip. "You want my other coke? I hear diet soda is really bad for you." he says.

"Yeah I know, but there were no more regulars. And yes, I would love your other coke." I say and take the soda from Luke's hand. "Wanna sit?" I ask nervously, sliding over. Then I remember I'm barely wearing any clothes and my stomach goes cold. "Sure." he says and plops down next to me. "So..." he says after a few minutes of silence. "So..." I repeat. "I think I hear someone calling my name. I better go." Luke says abruptly and gets off the couch and leaves.

Wow, thanks Luke.  

What the hell is wrong with him? And what the hell is wrong with me?  Does he think I'm that stupid? Of course no one was calling his name. He just wanted to get away from me. And I actually thought he might not hate me completely. Something is stirring inside of me, something that can never happen. It's something I'm not even sure I want to happen.