11. Unbothered

Ariel's POV

Oh shit.

Luke just walked in on me and his best friend kissing.

"Dylan? Ariel? What are you doing?" Luke asks. Dylan pulls out of my arms and turns to face Luke more accurately. "Is that really any of your business what we're doing behind closed doors?" Dylan asks. Are they still mad at each other for what happened? "Sorry. I was just looking for Ariel. The teacher's been wondering where you were, so she sent me to look for you." he stutters. Class already started?

"What is going on with you two? Ever since the party you've been acting different around each other." I pipe up quietly. They both turn to me like they didn't even expect me to speak. "Nothing. Let's go." Luke says in the same stern tone he used yesterday when he told me he needed a break from me and the project. He reaches out his arm for me to take his hand, although I don't know why. Why would I want to hold his hand? I leave his arm, hanging there in mid-air. Something inside me is urging me not to take it, but another part is telling me its the right thing to do.

I glance back at Dylan, who is looking at me with eyes that are filled with mixed emotions: sadness, anger, and...lust? Oh, who am I kidding? Dylan would never look at me like that. I turn back to Luke. His eyes are stone cold, like he couldn't care less if I went with him or not.

I turn back to face Dylan, give him a small peck on the mouth, and then say "See you later." with a small smile. Then I strut past Luke and walk to class, leaving the both of them speechless. I didn't go to class because Luke wanted me to. I went because I wanted to. And also because I've never skipped class before and I'm not starting now.

"Wait up!" I hear Luke yell from behind me. I also hear loud footsteps that I assume belong to Luke as he is chasing me down the hallway. "Yes?" I say ever so sarcastically and turn to see him. He isn't panting, nor is he sweating from chasing me. "What is with you? I couldn't find you after working in the computer lab, and then when I do see you again, your kissing Dylan! The guy who tried to hurt you!" he says. "What's with me? Why do you care? I thought you needed a break." I ask, angrily.

He just stands there, like he's finally realizing something. He doesn't say anything for a while. "Fine, don't answer me. Just leave me alone, Luke, OK? You've messed with me too much." I say, and turn on my heel. I walk into class only to be stopped by Ms. Brooks. "Glad you could join us, Ariel. Mind telling me why you're so late? And where's Luke?" she asks.

"I'm sorry I'm so late, Ms. Brooks. It won't happen again. I just...got caught up with something. Luke should be right behind me." I say and take my seat. Luke barges in through the door soon after, and takes his seat. "Alright class, today I'm going to let you work on your presentation's with your partner. Go ahead and start. No fooling around." she warns and then sits down at her desk and continues the paperwork she was doing before.

Why did she have to choose today to have us work together?

Luke is by my desk in seconds. "Do you want to go sit by my desk? It's less crowded back there." he says. I don't reply, just grab my books and follow him to his seat. He sits down and pulls an empty desk beside him over to his. I slide into the seat and open my binder that contains all of my things for my part of the presentation.

I start to finish the sentence I had been writing when Luke clears his throat. "We're supposed to work together." he says. "I don't want to work with you, Luke." I say. "What is your problem, Ariel?" he asks. "I could ask you the same thing." I say, continuing to write. "Fine. You wanna be stubborn? Go ahead. I have no idea what's wrong with you, and I don't think you're planning on telling me anytime soon. So go ahead and be solitary and annoyed. I don't care anymore." he says, and starts to work on his part of the presentation.