12. Silence is Deafening

Ariel's POV

Hold them in, hold them in. Do not let him see you cry.

I turn to face the window and wipe away a tear that managed to slip out. How could he say that to me? He is the rudest, most arrogant and obnoxious person I've ever met. I stay quiet for the rest of the ride home. If it wasn't bucketing rain, I would get out of the car and walk the rest of the way home. But then there's the fact that I'm in a moving car.

Luke doesn't say anything either, unless you count a stupid "Are you ok?"

Is he blind? He said he didn't care about anything I said. And I don't know why I thought he might care about me. I mean nothing to him.

He pulls up in front of my house, and I'm unbuckled and out of the car before he can barely even stop. "Thanks for the drive home." I say blankly. I didn't want to thank him, but he didn't have to stop and offer to drive me home. Then again, he also didn't have to make that comment towards me. Why would he even say that? I thought he would be was happy for his friend. Or maybe even for me.

Whatever. I was stupid to think that. I slam the car door shut and run to my house because it's still raining. I don't bother to stay and see if Luke waits in front of my house again, I just run upstairs, turn on the light, and lay back on my bed. I don't cry though. I will myself not to cry because of some stupid guy. I will feel weak if I cry. I will feel stupid if I cry over him. He shouldn't mean anything to me.

So why does he?

I've gotten too close to him, and it's all because of this stupid project. If I had never picked his name from that bucket, I never would have had to talk to him, he never would have felt the need to stand up for me after Dylan tried to hurt me. He never would have been at my house for dinner, he never would have been mad at me for kissing Dylan, and he never would have stopped to drive me home in the rain. He never would have made me laugh, blush, or cry. And I wouldn't be feeling so confused and disoriented.

What has he done to me?

I wouldn't be in this position right now. Dylan probably wouldn't have asked me out. He probably would have raped me in a drunken state and then regretted it later. I would probably be wrecked with emotional trauma or some shit like that. If it weren't for Luke. He saved me. And then ruined it by bringing out his true colors and hurting me. Twice.

I can't let him do this to me. I have to be done with him, and I have to make sure that's the last time I say that. I can't go back. It will only get worse. It seems that the more I get closer to him, he tenses up and says something stupid. We will be mutual project partners. And nothing more.

The next morning, I get dressed and brush my hair, as usual. I walk downstairs for breakfast, and Cameron is there eating, as usual. I sit down at the table with my bowl of cereal, as usual, and when I'm finished, I brush my teeth and try to decide if I want Cameron to drive me to school or not. Curse my parents for not allowing me to get a car until I'm eighteen. If only my birthday would come faster.

I'd decline Cameron's polite offer to drive me, but its pouring again.

How cliché.

I get in Cameron's car and arrive before the large doors five minutes before the bell rings. I dart from the car, up the steps of the school, and inside, managing to only get slightly soaked. People stand at their lockers, getting their books and talking inside their group of friends. I squeeze out my hair a little and make my way to my locker. I don't see Zoey anywhere. She isn't at her locker and she's isn't at mine.

The only person who I see at my locker is Dylan. A smile spreads across my face and I find myself walking a little faster. One of the cutest guys in school likes me. He thinks I'm beautiful. "Hey gorgeous." He says to me as I near him. "Hey." I squeak out. He steps aside so I can get to my locker. I open it and get my books out, feeling his eyes on me the whole time. My cheeks become inflamed and I look down at my feet.