26. Simple As It Should Be

Ariel's POV

Oh shit.

What did I just say?

You told Luke you were falling in love with him, you idiot.

Oh yeah. That.

I focus on Luke's face through the rain, trying to read him. But I can't. He looks stunned, confused, and almost...relieved?

"Well? Aren't you gonna say anything?" I yell through the heavy beating of the rain. Why isn't he saying anything? Idiot.

"I don't have to say anything." he says quietly before taking two large strides in my direction. Before I can even process what's happening, I feel a pair of hands frame my face and a soft pair of lips pressed against mine.

I stand there, frozen, letting him kiss me before I wrap my hands around his neck, pulling him closer to me. I slide my fingers into his hair and kiss him back, electricity coursing through my veins. Its like the little shock I feel when I touch his hand or his arm is being magnified by about a thousand times.

His presses his lips against mine harder, tugging me even closer to him, creating no space between us. I can feel his entire body against mine, and the feeling is....perfect. I've been waiting for this for so long, I can barely even register what's happening. Everything is involuntary.

His lips move with mine, but we pull away after another minute, the need for air becoming as urgent as his kiss. "I never knew you felt that way about me." I say back to him, my arms still wrapped around his neck. My breathing is heavy, but so is his.

"Do you know how long I've been waiting to do that?" he asks, smiling. I smile too, standing up on my tiptoes and kiss him again. I want to feel his lips against mine again, his fingers weaved into my hair, pulling me closer to him. Because I've waited a while to do that too. Much much too long.

Everyone and everything around us disappears, including the rain that has soaked me and Luke completely. I want to go back inside, but I don't want this feeling, this moment of ours, to end. He pulls away, his forehead gently resting against mine. "We should go back inside." he whispers, his breath brushing against my lips. I only nod before he takes my hand and pulls me forward, out of the rain. I laugh and run, feeling pure happiness.

Finally, something is going right.

Once we get out of the rain and under the overhang of the school entrance, Luke pulls me close to him by the hand he's holding and caresses my cheek gently with his free hand. "Ariel, I need to say something." he says, his eyes roaming mine. "Go ahead." I say. "I never thought I would feel this way about you. Now, please don't take that offensively, because I don't mean it like that, but the first time I saw you, the first time you introduced yourself to me, I simply thought you were one of those people who always had their face shoved in a book." he continues. I simply stand there and listen.

"But once I got to know you, I got to know how funny and smart and...beautiful you are. On the inside and out. The more time I spent with you, the more my feelings for you started to grow. I may not have known it at first, and I will admit that I tried to ignore them and tell myself they weren't there at first, but I finally just accepted it: I was falling for you, in every way possible. And I tried and tried to work up the nerve to ask you to prom but I couldn't make myself do it because I was so afraid you'd say no."

"But I finally decided to go to the hospital, figuring that you would be there with Zoey, and I was right. You looked so beautiful, you still do, don't get me wrong, and I regretted not asking you. And I guess I should tell you now, that day in the hospital, when you heard me talking to Zoey?" he says, and I hold my breath.

"I was practicing for when I would tell you that I liked you. But I never got the chance. I was planning on telling you when I asked you to dance, but you backed away and ran out and....let's just say I was not expecting you to tell me that you liked me."

"So, to get to the point, I'm telling you that I really, really like you." he finishes, his beautiful green eyes never leaving mine. "I really, really like you too." I say, replicating the smile that has now taken place on his face. "Good." he says, breathing a sigh of relief. I smile as he loops his arm with mine and drags me inside the gym.

"Ariel! Where did you go? And why are you wet?" she asks me, sounding shocked while looking me up and down. "I was outside." I say, smiling. I grip Luke's hand a little tighter. "Why?" she asks, laughing. I look over at Luke, noticing that he's looking at me too.

"Oh my God." she says. "Oh my God." she repeats after a second or two, glancing first at our hands laced together and then at our faces. "You two..." she says, the corners of her lips turning up slightly. Luke's hand disappears from mine, but only for a moment before I feel an arm wrap around my waist, pulling me to his side. I wrap one of my arms around his back and lean my head on his shoulder. "Yeah." Luke says.

She shakes her head excitedly. "You two!" she squeals again. She runs towards me and pulls me into a hug. Then she hugs Luke. He looks a little shocked at first but hugs her back. I laugh as he makes a content face and nestles his head into the crook of her neck, and all I feel is happiness. For the first time in a long time. "Come here." I hear Luke say. I roll my eyes and walk over to them, wrapping my arms around the both of them: my best friend and my possible future boyfriend.

We part as a slow song comes on. Luke takes my hand and pulls me out to the dance floor without a word. I smile and laugh as he suddenly tugs my arm, pulling me right into him. He sways us back and forth, me smiling and laughing the whole time. Toward the end of the song, I rest my head on his shoulder and simply hug him, inhaling his scent. It's comforting and makes me feel safe, like nothing can happen to me as long as I'm in Luke's arms.

I ignore the fact that I'm still a bit wet from the rain, but its much warmer and drier inside. I spend the rest of the night dancing with Luke and Zoey and Cameron and just having fun with my friends.

From across the gym, I could see Cameron bring Luke into a corner and lay down the laws about being with me. He uses hand gestures to emphasize his seriousness, and I laugh. Zoey comes up to my side and asks what I'm laughing at. "That." I say, pointing over at Cameron and Luke. "Oh my God, he is not giving Luke the "big-brother-talk, is he?" Zoeys asks. "Oh yes he is." I say.

Luke and Cameron join us a few minute later, Luke looking slightly frightened and Cameron looking satisfied. "You are such an idiot." I say, punching Cameron's arm while laughing. "I'm just looking out for my little sis. I love you, you know." he says, hugging me and giving me a light rub on my head. "Your gonna mess up my hair!" I squeal, backing away from him. "Shut up." he says. I love the relationship I have with my brother.

The night continues, filled with dancing, laughing, and maybe a stolen peck on the cheek or two. This night couldn't get any better.

Zoey's doctors wanted her back before midnight, so we all leave at about 11:30. I get into Luke's car and we follow Zoey and Cameron out of the parking lot. The rain has let up a little bit, but its still coming down by the time we reach the hospital. "I'm going to go inside and help Zoey." I say, sliding out of the truck. "I'll come too." Luke says. He joins me on the other side of the car and we run inside together.

Zoey and Cameron arrived here earlier, so it's just Luke and me in the elevator. "So what does this mean?" Luke asks. I look over at him. "What does what mean?" I ask. "The kiss?" he asks. "I don't know, whatever you want it to mean." I say. "I told you I liked you and you said you liked me too..." he says awkwardly. Then there's a few moments of silence before Luke asks the question I'm sure he was nervous about asking, but I was dying to hear.

"Will you be my girlfriend, then?"

I continue to smile at him as I walk towards him. "You're such a seventh grader." I whisper and laugh, pressing my lips gently to his for a quick second. "So is that a yes?" he asks. "Yes." I smile. The doors open and we walk out, holding hands yet again. We arrive at Zoey's room and walk in. She and Cameron are hugging, but when they pull away, Cameron leans down and kisses Zoey on the cheek. I see her blush again.

"OK, OK. That's enough. Someone has to get to bed." I say, crossing my arms and smirking. "Fine." Zoey says, sighing. I walk into the bathroom with her and unzip her dress for her. She dresses in sweatpants and her hospital gown as I brush out her hair. She washes off her makeup and then leaves the bathroom. We find Luke and Cameron sitting in chairs, talking. They look up when we come out. "You still look beautiful." Cameron says to Zoey as she climbs into the bed. I give her a hug before leaving with Luke. Cameron decides to stay a little longer and chat some more with Zoey.

Luke drives me back to my house, and by the time we get home, I'm completely exhausted. He walks me to the door, like a true gentleman, and my mom opens the door for me. "Oh you look so pretty, Ariel." my mom says. "Thanks." I say, giving her a hug. Luke kisses me goodbye on the cheek without thinking, but my mom doesn't say anything until the door closes and he's gone.

"You two are so sweet. But where's Cameron?" she asks. "At the hospital with Zoey. He said he was going to stay there for a little longer. He should be home soon though." I say, passing her and going up the stairs quietly.

I close my bedroom door behind me and sit down on my bed. I left the house this afternoon for the hospital and I never expected to come home with a boyfriend, nevertheless the boy I wanted to be my boyfriend. I smile at the thought of Luke, my cheeks warming with blush. Oh boy.

I stood up and unzipped my dress from the back. I hang it up and then change into sweatpants and a fitted tank top. I take my hair out of the bun and then begin to brush it out, then uneven waves framing my face. My hair was still a bit damp, but the rain outside had finally let up. I toss it up into a messy bun and then wash off my makeup.

Before climbing into bed, I smile at my reflection in the mirror. For the first time in a while, I finally felt truly happy. No, it wasn't because I finally had the guy. It was because I knew someone loved me for me, for all my flaws and insecurities. I pull the covers up to my chin and close my eyes, falling into a dreamless sleep, knowing that when I wake up, Luke would still be there for me.

A/N - So....This is the last chapter, the next time I post something from this story will be the epilogue. I loved writing this story enjoy all of your feedback. Thank you so much to my readers, even if you are a small amount, you mean the world to me :)