19. Reverse Psychology

Tongue Tied - Grouplove >>>>

Ariel's POV

After school, my only focus is Zoey. Her mom calls me at around 3:30.

"Ariel? Hi, it's Mrs. Chambers. Zoey's awake, and she's asking for you." she says. Some form of relief washes over me like a giant wave. "OK, I'll be at the hospital soon." I tell her, and then I hang up, shoving my phone into my back pocket and sprinting down the front steps of the school.

I weave in and out of people, trying to get through the large crowd of anxious students. I almost don't notice the large black truck pulling up. Almost.

The truck screeches to a stop,nearly hitting me. Although, I'm pretty sure they stopped so they wouldn't hit me.

I press my hand to my chest, trying to calm down my heart rate. "Where are you going in such a rush?" a voice asks me. I look up from the ground to see Luke, leaning across the passenger seat to talk to me out the window.

"Zoey's mom called. She said that Zoey woke up and was asking for me." I tell him. "You want a ride?" he asks. I hear the doors click as he unlocks them. "Sure." I say, slightly doubtful. But I need to get to the hospital as fast as possible.

I open the door and pull myself up into the truck. Luke drives off as soon as the door closes and before I can even buckle myself in. "Why are you driving so fast?" I ask, clicking the buckle in place and adjusting it.

"You seemed like you were in a hurry, and plus I want to make sure she's OK too." Luke says. Oh right, I nearly forgot. He's in love with her. I heard him tell her. Although she probably couldn't hear him, he still told her.

You are such an idiot, Ariel.

After a moment of silence, I bring up Alyssa. "How's Alyssa?" I ask, turning my head to look at him. At the sound of her name, his jaw clenches and he sucks in his breath. "Actually, can I tell you something?" he asks me. "Um, sure." I say.

Brace yourself, Ariel. By his tone of voice, the news doesn't sound very good.

"I don't know if Alyssa and I are working out." he states, obviously on edge about something. "What makes you think that?" I ask. "Well, she's just been annoying me more and more recently and we've gotten in a couple fights. I'm just not feeling it anymore, but I don't know how to tell her how I feel, ya know?" he says.

Oh boy, Luke. Do I ever.

"Um, no, not really." I lie. I shift in my seat, getting a little uncomfortable. Why is he telling me this stuff? Why not tell his best friends? He wouldn't tell me this kind of stuff if he didn't trust me. "Oh. Well, I don't know how to tell her that...I want to break up with her." he says. Wow. If Luke breaks up with Alyssa, then the hottest guy at Oceanside High will be available. Not that many people have a chance with him; we're graduating soon.

"You want to break up with her?" I confirm, sounding a bit too eager. Crap. He turns to look at me. "Yeah, that's what I just said. I mean, we're graduating soon and I've never been a big fan of long distnce relationships. And I'm not even sure I'd be willing to try with her." he says. "Yeah I know. I was just...confirming." I stutter, but I don't break eye contact. "Why? Are you excited that I'll be available?" he asks.

My stomach twists up in a tight knot and I feel myself blush heavily. He doesn't know anything, Ariel. He was just saying that because he's cocky and...and...and adorable.

No shut up.

"Ariel? You still there?" Luke asks, waving his hand in front of my face. I look up and see that were stopped at a red light, about half a mile away from the hospital. "Uh, yeah, I never left." I say with a smile. He smiles back and laughs a little. "You have a good sense of humor, babe." he says.

Oh he brought that back up again.

I don't say anything though. "Oh, no response to 'babe'? Does that mean you like it?" he asks.  I try to fix something and he gets the complete wrong idea! "No, no Luke that absolutely does not mean that I like it." I say shaking my head. "Then why didn't you respond?" he asks, chuckling. "Because. I figured that if I didn't react then you would stop." I say matter of factly as Luke drives away from the now green light.