10. Dylan

Ariel's POV

Luke sits across from me in the computer lab the next day, typing away. I bite my lower lip gently and continue to type my paper. But I can't focus enough to form educated 12th grade level words and sentences. And it's killing me.

It's all Luke's fault. What with his wavy chestnut hair and his sparkling green eyes...Shut. Up. 

"Hey Ariel, can you help me with something?" Luke suddenly asks. I raise my head to see Luke focused on his computer. "Uh, sure, what-what is it?" I stutter. Luke peeks his head around his computer and raises an eyebrow. "You ok?" he asks. "Yeah. I'm fine. Why wouldn't I be fine? I'm awesome. 100%. Never better. Why would you think I wasn't fine? Do I look like I'm not fine?" I spit out nervously.

"You crack me up, babe." he says, laughing. I feel like a cartoon character. You know, the one whose heads turn as red as a tomato and then steam starts coming out of their ears? Luke may make my stomach flip, but calling me 'babe' doesn't make me swoon. In fact, it does the exact opposite. "Don't you get it? I hate it when you call me that." I say. "Don't you get it? I do that on purpose because I know it makes you mad." he says, simultaneously laughing.

I roll my eyes. "What did you need help with?" I ask, standing up and walking over to his computer. I lean down to get a better look at his work so far. Of course it's better than mine.

I rest one hand on the desk and the other on the back of his chair. My hair falls down, creating a curtain between Luke and I. Good. Now he can't see me blushing because I'm so close to him. I can hear him breathing. And he smells really good. Focus, my God.

"I need some help forming this sentence." he says, his tone of voice changing from funny to serious. I help him form his sentence quickly and he thanks me. "That's it. Thanks Ariel." he says without making eye contact. He just continues to type his paper.

I sigh under my breath and walk back to my seat. Why is Luke such a pain? Charming me and then ignoring me. And the worst part is, that's just like him. I just thought he might be different this time, around me. But I guess I was wrong.

I continue to attempt to type my paper, succeeding in only completing a paragraph or two of the five page essay assigned before the bell rings. I grab my bag, save my work, and leave the computer lab with Luke trailing behind me, who knows why. "Hey, I was wondering if you wanted to get together this weekend to work on the project some more. I was thinking my house maybe, unless you wanted to go to yours..." I start, turning to face him once we're inside the hallway. "Listen, I know we're doing really well on the project, but I have a life outside of school. I have a girlfriend and I just need a break from the project and school and..." he stutters a bit towards the end and I feel my face fall. "And me?" I say, grinding my teeth together. He doesn't say a word. "Look can you just move so I can get to my next class?" he finally says after the crowd has cleared slightly.

I step to the side and let him by, practically feeling the sharp edge of his tone.

Thank God he's gone quickly, because I feel tears spring to my eyes. He had a complete change in attitude after I helped him, especially after what happened in the car on the way home from Dylan's party. I run to the bathroom, avoiding the fast-moving bodies of other students and lock myself in one of the stalls. I bring my legs up to my chest so no one can see my feet. Then, I let a tear or two fall because my chest feels like its being sat on.

I hate myself right now for getting so upset over him. It's killing me. I make myself leave the stall when I hear the faint sound of the second bell ring and wipe the tears from my eyes. I will not let him have this much of an effect on me. I'm better than that. Or at least I'd like to believe that I am.