24. Here To See You

Ariel's POV

The end of the week came quickly and soon it was Saturday morning.

Luke hadn't asked me to prom.

Yeah, I guess you could say I was a little disappointed, but I would get over it soon enough.

I wanted to sleep in a little bit Saturday morning, so I set my alarm for 9:30. It went off loudly, but I was too excited for the evening's events that I had already been up for forty minutes. I shut off my alarm and then got in the shower quickly, wanting to get to the hospital with our dresses so Zoey and I could get ready. I needed to be almost fully prepped when I got to the hospital so I could help Zoey.

When I got out of the shower, I wrapped my hair up in a towel and began to shave my legs. Once I was done, I dried myself off and then went back to my room to get dressed. I changed into shorts and a tshirt and then gathered up my supplies. Then I got the dresses and went downstairs. Cameron was going to drive me to the hospital, drop me off, and then come back later to drive us to the high school.

OK, maybe it's not the luxurious limo every girl dreams of riding in to prom, but it was the best we could do. "Ready to go?" Cameron asks. "Yup." I say and we go to his car. I get in the passenger seat and wait for him to start the car. "I'm really glad you're OK with me taking Zoey to prom." he says as he pulls out of the driveway. He turns the car and starts down the road to the hospital. "I'm just happy that she's happy." I say with a smile.

"Good." he says. We don't really talk much on the way to the hospital. Once we get there, I jump out of the car and run inside. "Hey! Wait for me!" I hear Cameron yell from behind me, but I don't stop running until I get inside. I'm to anxious and excited. Cameron finally catches up to me at the elevator. The doors part ways and we step inside. "Can this this go any faster?" I ask impatiently. "Calm down, why are you so excited?" Cameron asks me, a laugh coating his tone of voice.

"Because it's prom. Haven't you ever been to one?" I ask sarcastically. "Yeah, actually. It was one of the worst days ever." he says, laughing at the memory. "What happened that made it so awful?" I ask. "My date hung out with another guy the whole time and I got punch spilled on my tux twice." he says, still laughing. "Oh wow that sounds awful." I say laughing as well. "Yeah, I just hope that doesn't happen this time." he says. "I don't think it will. Zoey won't leave your side. She'll be bragging to everyone that she has an "older guy" as a date." I reply.

The doors slide apart, revealing a slightly busy hallway. I walk out of the elevator, turn left, and go straight to Zoey's room, avoiding rushed nurses and urgent doctors. When I enter back into her room, she's already up and ready to go. "Look whose up bright and early." I say as I walk in and close the door behind me. "Where's Cameron?" Zoey asks, standing up on her tiptoes to look over my shoulder. "He should be right behind me." I say, turning towards the door.

It swings open and Cameron is standing there. "Thanks for shutting the door in my face, sis." he says sarcastically. I laugh. "What held you up?" I ask. "There are a lot of people out there." he says, shutting the door behind him. "Alright, alright Zoey and I have to get ready so you can sit out here and wait." I say, pushing Cameron towards the couch in the room. He holds his hands up in surrender and sits back on the couch, putting his hands behind his head and resting back.

I pull out my supplies and set them up on a little table for display. Then we hang up the dresses and get to work. I wash Zoey's hair in the sink of the bathroom and then towel dry it. She works on my hair while hers dries, pulling and twisting mine into a side bun. It looks really cool when it's done, all twisted and curly and braided. Next I do her hair. She sits on the bed while I stand behind her, brushing out her hair and curling it with my curling iron.

Then she paints my finger nails a pretty silver color. I do hers in a French manicure like she wanted. It's already lunch time, so Cameron goes out and picks up some Subway for the two of us. Although Zoey is tired and has a headache, she still tries to keep a straight face and act like the Zoey I know and love. Her face contorts in pain sometimes, but she tries to make it unnoticeable.

After lunch, we continue with getting ready. Prom is in two hours. And Zoey and I couldn't be more excited. She starts on my makeup which consists of concealer, black mascara, light pink eyeshadow, and red lipstick. I get out my jewelry and the jewelry I brought Zoey and lay it out before going into the bathroom to get into my dress. I slowly slip my tshirt over my head, careful not to mess up my hair, and then put on the dress. After Zoey puts hers on, I zip it up and we exit the bathroom. "Get out Cameron!" I yell through the bathroom door. I don't want him to see us before we're ready. "OK OK I'm leaving." he says. I hear footsteps and then the door close.

I open the bathroom door and Zoey and I walk over to the table with all of our jewelry and extra accessories on it: spiral dangly earrings, and a diamond bracelet I got for Christmas. Then I put on my silver high heels as Zoey puts on her jewelry.

Once were done, I spray myself with perfume, grab my silver flowery clutch, and check our reflections in the mirror one last time before letting Cameron in. "You look so beautiful, Ariel. Thank you so much for helping me get ready. I never thought I would be going to prom once I found out about my tumor. But you made it possible and you made me pretty and now I have a date and...I just can't thank you enough." Zoey says, wrapping her arms around me in a tight hug.

I hug her back as I whisper "It was no problem. I love you, Zoey." "I love you too, Ariel. You are the greatest friend anyone can ask for." she replies. "So are you." I say and we release each other from the hug. "Are you excited?" I ask her. She laughs. "Yes I am." she says with a smile. We exit the bathroom and walk over to the door to open it, but the door handle twists and Cameron walks in. "You two look gorgeous." he says, giving each of us a hug.

"But there's someone here to see you, Ariel." Cameron says gravely. "Death?" I ask in the same mock tone. He laughs. "No, someone else." he says, opening the door a little more and stepping inside. Once he moves out of the way, I see who he's talking about.