Epilogue

Ariel's POV

I fidget slightly in my seat. The sun had been beating down on my graduation cap for over two hours, and the long sleeves of the royal blue cloth material were not helping my situation. I stare out over the crowd of people, the friends and family of my other classmates. I was graduating today. And in approximately 42 seconds, I would have to stand up, walk across the stage, and receive my diploma from Ms. Brooks.

"Ariel Lewis." Ms. Brooks speaks to the microphone. I wipe my sweaty hands on the material one last time before standing up and walking across the stage. "Congratulations." she whispers to me, smiling. I smile back, feeling tears well up in my eyes. No matter how much I wanted to get away from Oceanside High School, I would always remember and love it. She hands me my diploma and then shakes my hand. I walk around her and sit down on another chair on the opposite side of the stage.

Looking out over the crowd again, I see my mom and dad, their eyes welling up with tears too, and my brother, giving me a thumbs up and a proud smile. I smile back, happy that he could make it today.

Zoey turns to me and gives a smile. I give her a thumbs up and she turns back around. The hospital started her chemo a few days ago, and she surprisingly hasn't begun to feel sick yet, so they allowed her to come to her graduation. About two names after mine, I hear Ms. Brooks call out "Lucas Mason." 

A smile immediately comes to my face hearing his name, and I turn to look at the podium where Ms. Brooks is handing out diplomas. I see Luke shake her hand and take his diploma. He turns to the crowd and shakes it in the air. I laugh along with everyone else and he sits two seats down from me. I see him mouth "We did it!" I smile and lean back in my chair, waiting for the rest of the names to be called.

After Ms. Brooks calls the last name, I stand up with the rest of my classmates. "I now pronounce the graduating class of 2013!" Ms. Brooks says. Hearing our cue, all the students take the tassels and bring them to the opposite side of our caps before grabbing them by the corners and tossing them up into the air. I look up to see a blur of blue and white objects sailing through the air.

I look down and catch Luke staring at me. In less than a second, he's right in front of me, pulling me into his arms and pressing his lips to mine. A few students cheer and 'whoop' around us, and I smile against Luke's lips before wrapping my arms around his neck, pulling him closer to me. We pull away and I laugh, out of pure happiness.

I had officially graduated. And I planned on welcoming this new chapter of my life with open arms.

~-~-~-~-~-~

"Come with me." I hear Luke whisper in my ear. I turn to look at him and arch one of my eyebrows. We were currently celebrating with the rest of our graduating class at the reception/after party. I held a cup of fruit punch in one hand and was talking with some other people about colleges when Luke appeared at my side and grabbed my hand gently.

"Excuse me for a minute." I say with a smile, letting Luke drag me to the side of the room, the skirt of my knee-length navy blue dress twirling as I came to a halt. "What?" I ask with a small laugh. "Two things: One, you look extremely hot in that dress," he says, scanning me quickly. I lightly punch him on the arm before blushing.

"And two, I want you to come with me for a minute. I want to take you somewhere." he says, smiling. "Where?" I ask. "You'll see." he says, a devilish grin replacing his sweet smile as he drags me out the door, laughing. "Where are we going?" I ask amidst my laughter. "Just run!" he says. He pulls me outside and up to his car. "Hop in." he says. "OK..." I say, opening the door and jumping up into his truck.

He gets in on the drivers side and starts up the engine. "Now will you tell me? You just dragged me away from my family, you kidnapper." I say. "You'll find out when we get there!" he says laughing. After about fifteen minutes in the car, he instructs me to close my eyes. I do so and wait until the car stops. "Keep them closed." he says before shutting his door. He joins me on my side and opens my door for me, lifting me out of the car.

My eyes are still closed as he carries me to wherever he's taking me. "You know I can walk myself, right?" I say. "Yeah but I wouldn't want to run you into anything." he says. "Oh thanks. That's reassuring." I say sarcastically. "Ok we're here." he says, setting me down. I open my eyes to see train tracks. I turn my head slightly and then see a blanket and picnic basket, all set up and ready to go. "What...What is this?" I ask, a smile spreading over my face slowly.

"I thought you'd like it." he says, wrapping his arms around me. "I love it." I say. He leans down and pecks me on my blushing cheek. "Come on." he says, taking my hand and pulling me toward the train tracks. He jumps up on one side of the rail and tells me to jump on the other. He stretches his arms across the tracks and I grasp for it, not wanting to let go.

I attempt to keep my balance as we walk along the tracks like trapeze artists. Suddenly, he tugs my arms gently, pulling me towards him and off the edge of the rail. Without warning, he kisses me again, sending my waves of electricity through my body, like fireworks. When he pulls away, he keeps his face close to mine. "You're so beautiful, Ariel." he whispers, staring into my eyes. "Why thank you." I whisper breathlessly, completely entranced by his strong facial features.

"And I just want you to know, that no matter where we end up, that you'll always be my one and only "babe," OK?" he asks me. I smile and laugh. "What have I told you about calling me that?" I say, looking at him with a mock reprimanding look, but I can't hide my smile. "Just kiss me again." he says, shaking his head slightly, replicating the smile that's on my face.

Luke and I stayed there, wrapped in each other's arms, kissing. I no longer cared about everthing that I'd been worried about for the past few months. I was with Luke and I was happy, and that's all that mattered.

The End

A/N ~ Wow. I finished it. Its a little shorter than I would have liked it to be, but I actually finished it. Thank you so much to my followers who read and commented and supported me ;) It may seem like a small matter to you, but it meant the world to me to see your expressions of happiness and anger towards the characters. Thank you so much and I wish to write for you all again :)