23. Irresistible

Ariel's POV

I sit at a lunch table later that day, counting the little-colored specks on the vinyl tabletop. I glance up every so often to see if Luke has walked into the cafeteria yet. He hasn't. And I've been waiting for ten minutes.

I look up when I hear the door open only to see Dylan, Alyssa, Aubree, and Tyler. But no Luke. Dylan looks at me sitting by myself and smirks. Asshole. Alyssa walks by next, glaring at me. That's no surprise. Aubree and Tyler both smile and wave at me. I smile and wave back. Then I continue to stare at the door.

Ten more minutes pass, and I'm starving. I look back at Dylan and Alyssa's table to see if he walked in through that entrance, but he's not anywhere in sight. You asked me to wait up for you, and I'm waiting. Where the hell are you? I say to myself, trying to communicate with him mentally. It doesn't work. I eventually just get up and go buy myself some lunch.

I sit back down in my seat and start to eat when I notice a presence in front of me. I look up, expecting to see Luke. "So Luke didn't show, huh?" Dylan asks, sitting in front of me. Alyssa sits next to him and continues to give me a death glare. If looks could kill...

"What do you mean?" I ask, pretending I don't know what they're talking about. "Don't play dumb, Ariel. We know you're waiting for Luke. Every time the door opens your head snaps up." Alyssa says, anger coating her voice. "What's your problem? Why are you so mad at me?" I ask. "Luke broke up with me because of you." she says, a snarl forming at the edge of her lips.

"I'm not the reason Luke broke up with you, Alyssa. The reason he broke up with you is because he deserves better." I retort. "Whatever. You're a bitch. Luke knows what he's doing, steering clear of you. Have fun eating lunch by yourself." Alyssa says. She then stands up, grabs Dylan's hand, and pulls him up towards her only to smush her lips against his.

Luke just broke up with her and now she's kissing one of his best friends. I was right, she doesn't deserve him. But neither do I. I've been nothing but an ass to him and he's still trying to be my friend. What does he see in me? Why does he care so much?

She pulls away and drags Dylan back over to their table. Luke didn't break up with Alyssa because of me, right? No, he told me his reasons.

I finish my lunch and angrily throw away my trash. I walk to the doors that lead out of the cafeteria and push them open. What the hell? I waited for you and you never showed. You arrogant, selfish, son of a -

I collide right into someone's chest, sending me flying backwards a few steps. But the guy just stands there like I didn't just walk straight into his muscular chest. "I'm sorry-" I start, but I look up to see Luke standing there. "Oh, never mind. I didn't know I was apologizing to you." I say, crossing my arms. "Excuse me?" he asks, obviously confused. "Don't pretend like you don't know what I'm talking about. You told me to wait for you at lunch and I did. For over twenty minutes. And you never showed." I say. "Oh, yeah, sorry about that." he says, scratching the back of his neck.

"Uh-huh, sure you are." I say. I push past him but he stops me by stretching his arm out in front of me. "Oh no you don't. You don't get to storm off from me." he says smiling. "What are you smiling about?" I ask. I'm getting frustrated with this boy. "You're cute when you're angry." he says still smiling. "Oh yeah? Well I better look pretty damn hot because I'm pissed off at you for standing me up." I say.

"You're funny too." he says laughing. "Stop it and shut up! This isn't funny! I'm mad at you." I say, pouting. "No you're not." he says. "Quit being so arrogant." I snap, rolling my eyes. Don't let him make you think you're not mad at him. He stood you up, Ariel. Keep being mad.

"I'm not being arrogant, I'm just telling the truth." he says. "Fine, whatever. But I am mad at you." I say squinting at him. "Fine, whatever." he says, mimicking my tone. "Stop it!" I say. I slap his arm, trying to suppress a smile. "Ouch!" he states sarcastically. "Shut up." I say. "Stop it and shut up. Are those the only insults you know?" he asks. "No." I say, stepping closer to him. "That's what I thought." he says, his face close to mine and that irritating smirk is plastered to it again.