Chapter 4

Caroline was shopping at a grocery store, trying to fill up her pantry, when her phone rang. She pulled it out and smiled when she noticed that it was Luke calling.

"Luke! Hey, I was wondering if you and Lizzy wanted to come to the bar with Leah, myself, and her husband?" Caroline said all cheery.

"Caroline," Luke sniffled. "Please hurry, something happened. I really need you right now!"

"Of course, Luke. I'm on my way!" Caroline hung up the phone and ran out of the store to her car, leaving the groceries and her cart in the middle of the store unattended.

She jumped in her car, started he ignition and raced down to the road to Luke's apartment. She had no clue what happened, but hearing Luke crying was enough to break her heart. He needed a friend, and he needed one now.

When Caroline finally came into Luke's apartment, she noticed Lizzy wasn't there, but Lee and the kids were. All five of them were crying. Seeing the people she loves with red eyes and puffy faces hurt her. She didn't understand why.

Luke wasn't one to cry, neither was Lee. There was something major going on. Something so big, it made two strong, grown men cry.

Caroline looked around and noticed Kelly wasn't with them. "Where's Kelly?" Caroline asked and it only seemed to make Luke cry harder. That's when it hit Caroline. She pulled Luke into her arms. "It's okay, Luke. She was a wonderful person, I'm so sorry."

Luke buried his head into Caroline's neck. Caroline knew this was the time Luke needed someone. But why her? Why not Lizzy? "Lee just told me," Luke spoke, his voice cracking.

"It's okay to cry, Luke. You loved her, she was your sister. I'd cry too."

Luke smiled, a fake smile, but it was something. Caroline pulled away and walked over to Lee. She wrapped her arms around him and squeezed tightly. "I'm so sorry, Lee. I could only imagine the pain that you and the kids are going through right now."

Lee smiled, his wasn't fake like Luke's. "I'll be okay, it's Luke I'm worried about. He grew up with Kelly, he has always been the baby. He has never lived a life as an only child. He's gonna need you now more than ever."

"He's got Lizzy, she'll pull him through this rut he seems to be in," Caroline shrugged.

Lee shook his head. "Lizzy? He never talks about his feelings to her. Hell, he's never even told her he loves her. The reason why; you. He loves you. He talks to you, he copes with you. You helped him get over Chris, and you never even met his brother. You're his savior, Caroline, he loves you."

"That's very flattering, Lee, but I just can't believe it. Luke wouldn't propose to Lizzy if he hadn't loved her," Caroline sighed, refusing to believe this news Lee had just told her.

Lee chuckled. "That's just it, we don't know why he proposed to her and not you. Besides, what about that kiss you had with Luke way way back in his daddy's barn?"

Caroline remembered. They had passes it off as some sort of accident, but it wasn't. They kissed on purpose. It felt so right, but when Kelly had caught them and told everybody, they felt embarrassed and never mentioned it again. That's one of he reasons why they never potentially dated.

"Luke, where are we going?" Caroline giggled as Luke dragged her over to his father's barn.

"I'm going to show you how a real man should treat his woman, not how that stupid ex of yours has been treating you."

Caroline smiled. "You don't have to."

"I don't, but I want to," Luke grinned.

Caroline shook her head, but when she saw Tommy's barn, she didn't want to believe Luke was real. Well, not with how beautiful this place was. Luke, a southern man, could've never pull something like this off, but he did.