Prologue

I sigh as I place the letter that will decide whether or not I got into the really high class, all girls high school that I've been working so hard to get into on the table. I had promised both my parents that I would work my hardest to get into the school, but after both my parents abandoned me my grades had dropped.

It was the last day of summer vacation. I was six years old then. My dad and I were walking along the beach enjoying the cool summer breeze and listening to the calming sound of the waves crashing along the shore. Back then I didn't think that there was such a thing as death. I know I was really innocent back then. I always thought that my parents were always going to be with me. Then, I don't why or how, but I had a weird feeling that something would happen that day that would change my life forever.

"Papa," I said in the high squeaky voice that I had back then. My dad looked down at me and smiled warmly.

"What is it princess?" Dad asked curiously.

"You and mama will be with me forever, right?" I asked curiously. Dad looked at me in confusion for a moment before his expression softened and he smiled at me.

"Don't worry squirt," dad reassured me, "Your mama and I aren't going anywhere for a long time." I smiled at him. I believed him and I had decided to push those weird feelings away.

"You promise?" I asked as I held out my pinky. He hesitated for a second before taking my pinky in his.

"I promise," he promised as we pinky promised. Little did I know that that promise wasn't going to be kept. I had not known at that time that that was the last promise that I would ever make with dad again. I smiled happily as I hugged him tight. "Haha." He hugged me back and kissed the top of my head lovingly. Just then dad's cellphone rang. He took it out if his pocket and pressed a button before placing it to his ear. "Hello?" I watched my dad intently as he silently nodded his head while listening to whoever was on the phone with him. Little by little his expression changed. By the end of the phone call dad had a shocked yet sad look on his face.

"Papa, what's wrong?" I asked worriedly as I looked up at him. He didn't respond, but he squeezed my hand. "Papa?"

"Get in the car," dad responded, his voice completely different than before the phone call.

"But, papa, what's wrong?" I asked again.

"God dammit Rocky!" Dad yelled furiously, "Do as you're told and get in the car!" I was so scared I literally fell backwards onto my butt. He yelled at me. That was the first time that he had ever yelled at me before. I lay on he ground on my butt just hugging my knees to my chest. I could feel tears beginning to form in my eyes. I soon heard a sigh from the other side of the car and steps walking over to my side. Dad kneeled in front of me and he had an apologetic look on his face. "I'm sorry honey." He reached out to bring me in his arms. "I'm sorry I yelled at you. That wasn't fair. Papa's just in a bad mood right now is all, but it's not your fault." As I felt his arms wrap around me, comforting me, the tears that I tried to fend off began pouring down my face like a waterfall and I clung to him.

"Papa, I'm sorry that I made you mad," I apologize as I sniffle. He gently pets my hair.

"You don't need to apologize princess this wasn't your fault," dad reassured me, "So, stop crying, now." I nodded my head in understanding as I stopped sniffling and wiped my tear stained face. "Come on." He helped me stand up and then opened the door for me. I gave a half smile as I got in the car and he closed it once I was in. I watched in the rear view mirror as my dad made his way over to the driver's seat. We didn't talk very much after that. It wasn't until we pulled up to the hospital that I finally decided to break the silence.