Chapter 12: All Alone

Valkyrie awoke coughing. She stood up on shaky legs and looked at her surroundings. It was anabandoned warehouse of sorts. Brickwork crumbling and assets strewn all over the place.

Hello?" She called out.
She was alone. All alone in this vast space. She remembered what Skulduggery had taught her. When in situations like this, try to find a way out. If not, fight your way out.

There was a faint yellow line which had been worn out. She decided to follow it, see where it went. After a few minutes of pointless wondering she came across a sheet of paper. It was nailed to a pillar. She ripped it off and read it.

What she read horrified her. It could've been the most barbaric thing she read in her life.

"Dead Men, dead men swinging in a tree
How many dead men do you see?
Tounge turned blue and face gone gray
Watch them as they twist and sway

First one killed the butcher man
And cooked him in the frying pan
Served him to his hungry guests
And have them seconds on request

The next one with his smile and sweets
Stole poor children off the streets
To men who dressed unsavoury
He sold them into slavery

Breaking into home at night
The thief he had a nasty fright
Filled his foolish head with ale
Woke in the morn in the county jail

The artist with his daunting skill
Tried his hand at painting bills
But caught in rain he was undone
When the ink he'd use did start to run

With promises of great return
Taking gold he did not earn
Bundled it up out of sight
Quietly slipped off into the night

Three houses into ashes burned
The sheriff with no place to turn
Did spy a stranger in his town
Locked him up and beat him down

Dead men, dead men swinging in a tree
How many dead men do you see?
Six feet long and six men wide
Round their necks the noose be tied"

A/N: Silent Hill references hint hint :D Yeah all credit for this goes to Silent Hill creators for this gruesome but awesome poem in one of the games blah blah..

After trying not to gag her first thought was, 'why is there only six?' There is seven dead men that she knew... Skulduggery, Ghastly, Saracen, Dexter, Anton, Erskine...

She was the seventh.

She looked up. Hanging from the ceiling by ropes around their necks were six dummies. All with the initials of a dead men on them.

She took a deep breath. She had to stay calm. First guess was that this was a puzzle of sorts. Aiming to catch her out. She guessed she had to match up the evil deed with the person.

Oh joy. This was going to be bloody well fun.

She had never really asked about what the dead men did before they became the dead men. But now.. She guessed she was going to find out.

***

She had finished the puzzle. And she did NOT like it. As Valkyrie walked through the building she heard the building groan.

"Well that doesn't sound good." She mumbled to herself.

And ironically as it happened. A sort of earthquake shook the building and Valkyrie blacked out, just as the ceiling and the walls caved in.

***

Valkyrie awoke. She felt stiff and numb and a throbbing of sorts was coming from her right leg. She tried to move. However, she felt restricted as there was huge chunks of rubble all over. She felt as if some of her ribs were broken as well and her head felt warm. She wasn't in a good position.

She heard distant footsteps. As if there was somebody walking around.

"Anyone there?" She called out.

The footsteps stopped.

"Hello?" Valkyrie called out once again.

The footsteps began again, quicker this time and in a matter of minutes she was greeted by a familiar face... with orange eyes.

"Um." Was the first thing he said.

"Well don't just stand there." Valkyrie said. There was a very akward atmosphere.

"You don't look good." The assassin said. His orange eyes darting about the place.

"Yeah well no shit." Valkyrie put her hands to her face.

Mordecai went over and took the rubble off her then helped her sit up against one of the stronger walls.

Another set of footsteps plagued the crumbling building. They were much heavier and slower this time causing a little dust to fall each step.

They both paused.

"Okay." The assassin got up to go and see who it was.

"Charlie we dont like-" Rubble fell down from the upper floors of the building as the ceiling collapsed, making visibility to a zero.

"You okay?" Valkyrie shouted into the dust.

"I should be asking you that question." He groaned.

More debris fell and metal pipes were hanging low.

"I'm done." Mordecai picked Valkyrie up and she blacked out once again.