Chapter Fifteen

Thin rivers of perspiration trickled down Tobias's back, chest, and shoulders as he finished his very last set of reps. Two pairs of fifty pound, iron chains were connected on either side of the fifty-pound bar, clinking and clacking against the cement floors of his basement with each lift of the two hundred fifty pounds. After one last, heavy exhale of breath, he set the bar down; his arms trembling.

There were weights scattered everywhere on the cold floor. Storage boxes were stacked up against one side of the wall, creating an eerie look with the patterning of their cardboard. He mainly used this room for the use of his impressive collection of weights and dumbbells. It was a plain room, but it helped keep him in shape, so he didn't care about the dingy room's appearance.

Balancing precariously on his right foot, he reached for the crutches and easily slid them below his underarms. The next part was the worst, he remembered grimly as he hobbled on over to the wooden stairs that connected the basement to the garage. The trip up the fourteen steps seemed to take years rather than minutes as he made his way to the cool interior of his garage.

Very much like the basement, the garage was simple. Shovels, brooms, hoses, and all different sorts of landscaping equipment were lined up against the walls, framing his rusty, battered truck. It was a little creepy to look at, even during the day, and had him moving more quickly to the kitchen door.

Rex pawed at him as soon as he opened up the door; his claws snagging on his red, mesh shorts. Pushing the massive dog's, grey head down, he walked on his crutches to the bathroom connected to his room. Stripping off his drenched clothing, he limped into the shower, stiffening as the icy spray beat against his back. Soon enough the hot water kicked in, and he began to relax.

Lathering the pine scented shampoo, he massaged the foamy substance into his short hair and continued to work down his body. The light-purple bruise had been catching his eye every, single time his left hip was uncovered. Even though it wasn' tnearly as dark as it had been, it was still noticeable.

A warm heat crawled up his neck as he recalled the events that had happened seven days ago. It had been better than heaven. Better than anything he had ever experienced in his entire life. Jane's soft, little cries of pleasure had turned him on more than he had thought imaginable. And then when he had entered her, he was surprised he hadn't just come right then and there. She had been sweet and so hot that he hadn't known what he had did to deserve someone as fine as her.

And then came the sharp crack. He had to admit that he had reacted worse than terribly in that situation. Maybe it was from how sexually frustrated he had been at the time, or maybe it was due to the fact that he couldn't even move his leg without feeling lightheaded. Either way, he had completely embarrassed himself, especially when he had passed out right in front of her.

“You fuckin' idiot,” he muttered to himself and turned off the shower.

With a ratty, cotton towel wrapped securely to his waist, he crutched his way into his room where his bed looked much too tempting to resist. Quickly changing into the Papa Smurf boxers that he only ever wore when he was sleeping alone, Tobias gently laid down on his right side, slowly turning over until he was comfortably situated upon his back.

A few minutes into his power nap, he heard a light knocking on the door. Jumping out of bed as painlessly as possible, he donned a pair of long, basketball shorts and slowly made his way to the door, expecting Mac to be waiting there.

Instead, he smiled at Jane who was standing on the other end. In worn-down jeans and a black, v-neck t-shirt she simply took his breath away. She was holding a large, paper bag in her hand, fiddling around with the torn ends.