Chapter Twenty-Three

“Jane!” Keith snapped at her, pacing back and forth on the Clinic's dull green carpet.

She looked at him, confused as to why he was acting so angry lately. It had been a long day at work, and she really did not want to deal with any confrontations. She knew that Sara and Keith were still dating, but she hadn't been expecting this reaction from the young security guard. Sara had been suspended for two weeks as punishment for her awful behavior. In another week, she would be back for work.

“What's wrong?”

“Don't play dumb, you stupid bitch!” he snarled, his face turning a putrid shade of red with every word that was spat from his mouth. “You almost got Sara fired! She worked so fucking hard to get this job, and you just ruin it for her! Now everybody thinks that she-”

“Keith,” she interrupted quietly, trying to keep the frustration out of her own vocals, “just lower your voice, so we can talk about this like adults, okay?”

“No, you have just ruined Sara's entire career! Do you have any idea how hard she worked for it? All she wanted to do was just fit in, and you-”

“What did I do that was wrong?” she snapped right back, noticing how the Rehab Center was quietly empty. Tobias had said he would come pick her up after he finished work, so she had opted to just wait in the Rehab Center. “I went to Jon with the problem instead of spreading lies to all of the other therapists! You know who didn't go to Jon? Sara, that's who, so I put an end to it.”

“No,” he spat, thrusting his finger in her face. "You put an end to her reputation! Do you know what'll happen when she comes back? Do ya? Everybody will hate her!”

She flinched at the sarcasm and venom laced in his voice but still managed to reply, “You think that everybody loved her when she was working? 'Cause they sure as hell didn't. She brought it on herself, and I absolutely refuse to let her bring me down with her!”

“You fucking cunt!” he screamed as he stepped closer to her, his nose almost touching hers. “You don't care about anyone but yourself! You should be the one who's suspended! You should be the one who everybody hates!”

She backed up, trying to space herself away from the furious man. He was really starting to scare her. His hands were clenched tight, the knuckles going white, and his stance was one of pure fury. She had never seen anybody so mad or so ready to start a fight.

“Keith,” she pleaded with him, fear encasing her words. "Please, just calm-”

“How dare you tell me to calm down! I watched as you laughed and joked around about Sara getting suspended! I watched as everybody looked to you like you're perfect! One day, Jane, one day, they will all know what a cold-hearted bitch you really are!”

He raised his hand in the air menacingly. Palm facing up, the clammy skin glinted off the fluorescent lighting. She raised her arms defensively, not knowing if he was going to hit her or if he was just giving the illusion of power.

She steeled herself, replying, “Stop it. Let's just talk this out. We can-Shit!”

Ducking from what would have been a sharp blow, she landed on the floor a half-second later. Why hadn't she just run over into the main waiting area where the other security guard was station?

“Damn,” she muttered. She hadn't expected Keith to try and physically hurt her.

A chuckle could be heard directly above her, drawing her gaze to Keith's sneering face. “You got lucky. And don't you ever threaten Sara again.”

Smirking, he hocked up something and spit onto her bare leg. She wiped it away quickly, hating how remnants of the gooey mass stayed dry on her skin. Anger filled her then, flowing through her and tinting her vision until the Center was spinning. She didn't even register as Keith walked away, only thinking about how she would get back at him.