Chapter Twenty-Eight

“And here he is on his first day of kindergarten,” Tobias's mom said to her as Jane smiled down at the adorable boy staring back at her with tear-stained cheeks.

Those large, silver eyes looked back up at her, containing an innocence that could not be seen today within Tobias. Wearing a He-Man and the Masters of the Universe t-shirt, black shorts, and high socks, he looked absolutely adorable. His hair had been longer then, curling slightly at the ends. A hand entered the picture then. Belonging to his mother, it traced his little face, most likely trying to draw the memories out of the picture well.

“He ran into the fourth grade room that day and hung on to Titus's neck until Mrs. Moller – the kindergarten teacher – yanked him off.” Tina sniffled a little, and Jane watched as tears began to drip onto the cellophane pages. “And you know what he did then?”

“What?” she asked, holding the woman's frail hands reassuringly.

After Tina used a handkerchief to dab at her red eyes, she laughed, “He called the police.”

“Hey,” Tobias interjected defensively from where he was walking down the staircase. “Mrs. Moller hated me. I had good reason!”

“Did not,” Trace shot back from the kitchen while still coloring with his daughter, Callie.

“At least Tobias actually went to school," the boys' mother scolded, laughing all the while. “That one," - she pointed to Trace - "hated school more than Tobias did. He stapled his hand just to get out for a few hours.”

“Daddy,” Callie scolded the blonde-haired man, her delicate curls bouncing within her movement's wake.

All Jane could do was watch, listen, and laugh as the two sons and their mother exchanged an endless amount of childhood stories, drawing up tears of laughter from her tired eyes. Like the past two nights, Tobias had kept her up the entire night; but, instead of making love, only sneaking into her bed to just come and talk with her.

Tawson walked down the stairs a few seconds later, hanging onto Tobias's arm trustingly. “Are we-we going now?” the older man talked in his way of moaning, his lower lip jutting out considerably.

“Yeah, Bug, we already put the orders in.” Tobias smiled down at Tawson, looking to her in the next instant. “Jane's coming with us, too. Alright?”

“Okay.” Tawson beamed at her, walking with Tobias down the stairs as she hopped up from the comfortable couch.

After donning a pair of her red Toms, she followed the two men out to Titus's truck, glad she was wearing her jean shorts that allowed the warm wind to glide off her legs. She made her way into the backseat, wanting to give the two brothers as much bonding time as possible.

“Thanks for coming with us.” Tobias grinned at her from the front seat, driving through the back country roads with ease.

“Of course." She smiled back. “This weekend really has been amazing.”

The rest of the ride was filled with idle chit chat between the two brothers as Tawson babbled away about which book he was reading and how much fun his community school was back down with Tina and Titan. Watching the dark scenery outside, she once again fell in love with the landscape before her. Trees as bountiful as the beef cattle were scattered along the wide, rolling hills.

Soon enough, buildings and small shops entered her vision, advertising home-cooked food, the repair of various tapestries, and other odd jobs that fit Texas to the tee. A few people were milling about, watching as Tobias positioned the truck in a busy parking lot and hopped out to open the door for both her and his eldest brother.