Chapter Fifty-Four

Wringing his clammy hands nervously, Tobias was tempted to touch the discreet velvet box that was searing a whole in his pocket but somehow managed to resist. He was standing at Jane's front door, trying to force himself to knock. The night air was warm, and it buzzed with the sound of drowsy cicadas. It was the perfect night for a question as serious as the one that was always on his tongue.

“Jane Marie Reynolds,” he whispered to himself for what felt like the thousandth time, “will you marry me?”

Even though he knew for an absolute and most definite fact that she would say yes, he still was quaking in his proverbial boots. But he wasn't wearing boots; instead, dress shoes adorned his feet, matching well with the black dress pants and plain white, button down shirt rolled up to the sleeves. It was the best he could give her, and he knew that she would always accept him – even when he was at his absolute worst.

Taking a deep breath, Tobias rapped his knuckles along the hard wood and waited. Through the patterned glass, he saw a partially blurred Jane hurrying throughout the house, no doubt trying to perfect the very last, little details. Then, he could hear her heals clacking from behind the door just as she opened it.

“Hey." She planted a deep kiss on his lips, making all nervousness suddenly disappear.

Taking in the black high heels and the silver belt cinching her black dress's waist, he almost drooled right then and there. Braided to the side and covering the tops of her breasts, Jane's hair looked almost as silky as he knew it would feel against the pads of his fingertips.

Now much more confident, he walked hand in hand with her to his truck. The drive to A's Classic Diner was silent, only the nervous tapping of Jane's heels filling the calm void. That very same clacking echoed throughout the empty night as they walked into the small diner, and he laughed to himself at the way her eyes widened.

This clearly was not how she must have expected this night to go. As they entered the diner, a few stares were sent their way, most likely judging how over dressed they were for the common place. They sat down at a checkered booth, playing a silent yet intimate game of thumb wars. Somebody cleared their throat from behind them, and he grinned at the friendly waitress.

“One slice of peach and one slice of strawberry to go, please.”

“It'll be right out." The waitress smiled right back before disappearing to the back to fish out their pieces of pie.

It was just like that night so many months ago. He remembered it all perfectly. The nerves were more toned down now, and he was much more comfortable and confident when it came to Jane; but tonight was the more serious than all of them combined.

“Here you go, hon." She came back a second later, carrying two take-out containers in her winkled hands.

He payed the check, tipped the waitress, and then walked with Jane back to his truck before driving down to the marina. A few boats' horns could be heard, their low tones making the night feel eased and effortless as they walked down the long dock. Just like that night that felt like an eternity ago, they sat down at the edge, water lapping at their dressy feet.

She ate her strawberry while he ate his peach, sometimes trading for a few minutes until every, single bit of each slice of dessert was gone. Leaning back against the concrete slab that made up the hand rails, Tobias pulled Jane into his lap, loving the way her sweet scent enveloped his entirety.

It was now or never.

“Dance with me,” he murmured, standing up.

Wrapping her arms around his waist, she danced with him as they both moved to a soundless but slow rhythm. He held her, glad that she hadn't yet felt the velvet box that he was ever so conscious of. Hands lightly caressing each other's back, they danced and danced until his hip started to ache. How glad he was to have broken his hip so long ago.

“Were the heels and dress really necessary for tonight?” She laughed, her breath tickling the back of his ear.

“Yes.”

“Why?”

That was when he got down on one knee.

Joints popping and feeling stiff from the unexpected but slight cold, Tobias knelt down, pulling the velvet box out of his right pocket. His hands shook as he offered it to her before he opened up the lid, revealing the item inside.

Shimmering even in the pale moonlight, the diamond itself was nicely rounded. Not too big and not too small, its multiple facets nicely complemented the three, little diamonds on either side of the main piece, all seven placed set precisely on the gold band.

“Jane Marie Reynolds,” he whispered quietly, looking into eyes that were shining with tears of what he hoped were joy. "Will you marry me?”

Cupping her hand over her mouth, Jane nodded and held her left hand out, allowing him to slide the piece of jewelry that meant so much onto her shaking finger.

Feeling himself starting to tear, he stood up and pulled her to him. Her hands tightened on his shoulders, and he sealed the deal with a kiss. Tongues twining sweetly together, he couldn't think of anything better than this.

He pulled away slightly. "So, is that a yes?”

“Yes.”