Chapter Thirty-Two

With a delicate touch that was extremely challenging for a man of his size to be consistent with, Tobias etched the beginnings of Jane's name, making sure not to break the walnut wood's brittle but weak surface. The dull, dark brown wood begged for some polish to make it really shine, but he wasn't finished just yet.

Having been worked on tediously for the past two weeks, the box itself was assembled, the miter cut pieces fitting within their grooves perfectly. He had found the knottiest piece of wood and after sanding it smooth, he had made sure that the most natural, intricate patterns were on either side of the box. That part had been easy; the top, however, was an entirely different story.

It had cracked and snapped and splintered, making him start over at least three times on its exquisite design. Jane's name would be in the middle, contrasting nicely with the relief carving behind it. The relief carving itself was what had taken him so frustratingly long.

Leaves and their vines criss crossed each other, their thin stems about a centimeter away from the base of the cover. It all centered in the middle where a large leaf in the shape suggesting that of a heart balanced out the top very well. Jane's name would be in the middle of that heart. But unlike hers, his own initials were etched into the corner on the bottom.

Setting up the especially small speakers that were about the size of his thumb nail, he connected the wires, opening and closing the box over and over to make sure that her favorite song would begin playing as soon as she unfolded the hinged lid for the first time. It played clearly, and he let that song – Cherry Pie – play throughout the shed as he arranged all of the items in a neat order.

Each keepsake would be lying neatly on the felt bottom of the twelve by nine by five inch box, every one from a special time they had spent together – the ticket stub from Evil Dead, a few sea shells he had collected from Miami Beach, a pencil drawing he had conjured of her, the photo his mother had taken of them kissing on their porch back in Texas, and last but not least, the necklace.

A quarter carat of flawless white diamond was entwined within an elegant swirl of rose gold, its shine and gleam brilliant within the dimly lit shed. A thin chain was connected to it, the perfect size for Jane's slim neck. At nearly seven hundred dollars, it had cost a pretty penny that had not gone unnoticed with his personal funds.

After this weekend was finished, Monday would be the first day of his new shift. Seven in the morning until five at night, he was adding two more hours every day to his normal work day, and without any breaks during the weekends, he was going to be living a little rough for the next couple of weeks. But he didn't care. He would do anything to make her happy.

After placing the necklace in its cushioned container, he set it down onto the felt. Along with the other items, it fit in well, not drawing too much attention to itself and at the same time not being overran by the other objects. It was his Christmas present to her, and he hoped to God she liked it.

The crunch of tires and murmur of Jane's familiar Harley interrupted his serene thoughts, causing a frantic beat in his heart to erupt. She couldn't see the present until Christmas – exactly thirteen days away. Quickly covering it up with a clean rag, he gently embedded it within the spare wood in the corner, emerging from the shed shortly after.

He watched as she cut the engine, still straddling that black death machine. She looked so much healthier now. Compared to how she had been a few weeks ago, Jane was practically glowing in the cold atmosphere. Her face was flushed and didn't look gaunt or sick anymore. Her jeans fit snugly once again, instead of sagging very low.

“Hey,” she walked over to him, smiling as he bent down to place a light kiss onto her inviting lips.

Grinning against her, he deepened the kiss immediately, feeling more than aroused. Their tongues tangled and clashed, causing him to moan into her mouth. She kissed him back with as much fervor, her hands fisting in his hair. Making their way into the house, he hoisted her up in his arms, the inside of her knees resting on his elbow's interior as her center came in contact with his bulging erection.