Chapter Thirty-One

“Tobias,” Jane called softly, hating how her voice cracked on the last syllable.

Loud footsteps came running down the hall towards her, and in the next second, the familiar head of the youngest Cantrell was occupying her bedroom door's space. She smiled as best she could, trying to show Tobias how thankful she was for all of his commitment the last four days.

He had pampered her and treated her like a princess, always checking up on her with those gray-blue eyes that were so wide with patience and tenderness. He literally did everything for her. It was quite embarrassing actually. He had always been there as she had hurled all of her previous meals into the waste basket next to her bed.

Despite the medication the doctors had given her, nothing had stayed down, and her body was really beginning to notice that one fact. More tired than usual, she was constantly sleeping the day and the night away, her only source of energy was the man in front of her.

“What's wrong?” he asked, distress filling his voice.

“Nothing." She opened up her arms, waiting for him to fall onto the bed next to her. After he pulled her up against him, she explained, “I just wanted to know if we can go out tonight. Maybe just a walk in the park or something.”

“Jane,” he scolded lightly, wrapping himself more securely around her, “the doctor said you have to take it easy. I don't want you leaving the house.”

Please,” she begged, reaching over to stroke Rex affectionately. “Look at him.”

Along with a duffel bag full of spare clothes and a twenty pound bag of dog food, Tobias had brought Rex over and had pledged to her in utmost seriousness that he would always stay with her before and after work. Always holding her in sleep and cleaning around the house, he had made very good on that vow.

“Look!" She pointed to Rex once again. "He's so bored in here. For the sake of your adorable dog, you must let me out!” she cried, knowing that she sounded like a resident belonging to the late seventeenth century.

“No.” Tobias shook his head once again as she was being restrained against him. “You only have three days left. I refuse to let you make it any longer than three.”

“Tobias Cantrell,” she growled, becoming impatient with his never ending tenacity, “you will let me out of this house. I can't stand another second in here!”

A battle of wills was exchanged then, bringing forth an underlying friction that she craved. Her eyes clashed with his and created a mental countdown within her own mind. Ten, it seemed to scream at her as it began descending towards the inevitable number that held no quantity. Three, that little voice now whispered, becoming quieter.

Two.

One.

“Zero,” she whispered and then shot out of bed, far enough away that Tobias couldn't reach her.

Hearing a curse from back in her room, she ran all the faster, feeling energized for once in the past couple of days. By the way her headaches had become more and more sporadic, she knew her condition was improving.

Grinning to herself, she quietly opened up the small supply closet and closed it quietly as loud footsteps could be heard in the kitchen. Her hands came in contact with the spare towels and sheets she kept in there, her bare feet brushing against some that had fallen onto the floor.

“Jane,” she heard Tobias call from the kitchen.

Excitement crashed through her at the silly game she had initiated. The tread of his feet could be heard as he walked past the supply closet and then back again, still calling her name. Then, he stopped right in front of the small storage room. Light from the hallway could no longer be seen as his large mass stood before the wooden door.