Epilogue - Last Dare: Failed

The rain started pouring down on us, stopping Gray from smiling and speaking. I went ahead of him and tried to find a little shelter that can protect me even for just a short period of time. A sigh escaped my lips after I found one. The rain was unbelievably cold, and I was freezing to death.

"Don't you know that you left me?" Looking up, Gray's eyes met mine. His shirt, hair, pants and bag were wet. Speaking of bag... I forgot my bag at school. Stupid me. How could I forget such an essential thing? "I brought your bag along." I was actually expecting Erza to carry it for me, not Gray. A little touched that he didn't forget about my bag, I slightly nodded and pulled my bag from him.

He began to sit down slowly beside me, not too close but not too far. Hearing his teeth chattering, I chuckled. We both felt cold. "Sorry, my bad. And thanks." Never hearing a response, I decided to text Erza if there were any assignments or projects for today.

Gray sighed all of a sudden. "I didn't believe you." I gave him a baffled look. "When you said that you'd miss me, I didn't believe you. I mean, you said it. You did all of this for Erza's dare. Making me notice you, befriending me, asking me to be your boyfriend. All of those weren't sincere since you were insisted by Erza's dare."

He's correct, to be honest. "Hmm... but me becoming your friend was a nice experience actually. When you told me all about yourself, I felt happy that I was your friend."

"What about being my girlfriend?"

His blunt question made my cheeks turn pink. "U-Uh, not really. We don't even have 'that' feelings for each other, if you know what I mean."

I thought I saw him hurt and heard him say: "For me that's a no." Shaking my head as a sign that that was just a hallucination, he spoke. "I don't hold feelings for Lucy anymore."

"Okay..." I drawled, not knowing what to say. I didn't know why he told me that since no one asked. There's no need to tell me that since it's a little obvious.

"Tell me," The seriousness made me shudder. "Did Erza dare you to kiss me too?" Wanting to be veracious, I nodded. Then I saw the expression from him... the hard look. He looked away, his eyes becoming completely blank and empty. "So we aren't really sincere after all. We should break up."

My weird feeling came back, but this time it's different. It's mixed with... sadness. "Why?" My voice came out as a whisper. Good thing, because I think my voice was going to crack in the end if I was loud.

"You don't like me, that's why." It's as if he was preventing himself from the outburst but then really couldn't hold it in. I had my shaky breath, a little scared. "Right? You don't like me."

"I don't know, honestly!" I exclaimed, tugging on my hair frustratedly. "Like? Me liking you? I couldn't actually say no or yes. Because really, my heart is confused." He didn't answer me. "Not now."

Silence came upon us as Gray twiddled with his finger. There's something wrong in this situation, and it's not in my sight yet. "Actually," he said quietly. "I like somebody. Somebody who's been on my mind lately. Somebody who's making my heart pound in my chest. This girl isn't just a normal girl. She's unique, and I've never met someone like her. I want to be by her side always..." he trailed off and exhaled, "but she doesn't like me the way I like her." Sadness was overflowing around him, and I just couldn't help but feel pity.

Now I wonder. Who's that girl? Why did Gray look hurt when I told him that the kiss was just a dare by Erza? He knew... he knew but he didn't complain. At that moment, I realized he's not one of those bad people who lingered around like a delinquent. He helped me with the dares even though he knew it's gonna be quite troublesome.