New Ventures: Part 2

Alone in her bedroom that she shared with Reese, Marianna stared out the large window and thought back to the first time she witnessed the scenery of their mountain home, how young she was and how confused. She felt a certain amount of confusion still, but different than anything she felt then.

She changed her clothes hoping to suppress those feelings until they ultimately disappeared, but she knew that they would return again. She entered the kitchen horrified that Reese again had made a mess of himself.

"What's going on?" Marianna asked. She looked over at her son and gasped. "Reese, you are a fright."

"Ain't I colorful, Momma?" he asked, looking proud of himself at the mess he made.

"Yes, like a sloppy little rainbow," Marianna said with a smile.

She wanted to be angry, but she never could be around Reese. He just had this way of calming her spirit. Her mother had that same effect on her as a child, but with Reese it seemed stronger. She wondered just how far that power would grow in him. Only time would tell.

Carla and Marianna both burst out laughing at the sight of his usual ritual of wearing his food. At that moment, Ty came through the front door. Reese flew out of the kitchen running towards the front door singing his name.

"Well, hey there, buddy," Ty said, giving him a high five. "Have you been a good boy for your mom?"

"Momma say I dirty," Reese said laughing. "Not dirty, I colorful."

"That you are," Ty said, muffing his hair and Marianna came into the living room.

"Come one, Reese," Marianna said, coming up behind them. "Time to get cleaned up."

"That's alright, Mary," Ty said. "Take a break, and I'll do it. Besides me and the little guy have a lot of planning to do."

"Well, alright," Marianna said, knowing her son was in good hands with Ty who she always considered a brother. "Besides, I haven't eaten yet."

"Then get in here and do it," Carla called from the doorway of the kitchen.

"Just a salad," Marianna said, walking back into the kitchen.

"A salad? I swear, Mary, I don't understand you," Carla said, shaking her head. "I don't understand how you survive on veggies and pasta."

"It's just the way I am," she said. She looked over at the clock seeing that it was almost six. Marianna quickly picked up her bowl after pouring a glass of orange juice.

She headed for the doorway when Carla blocked her way. "Where are you going?" Carla asked.

"The living room," she said. She knew Carla hated anyone eating in there. That was what the kitchen was for. "I want to catch the news."

"Why?" Carla asked as Marianna pushed past her. "It's nothing but a nightly body count." Carla followed her into the living room as she continued her scolding.

"I always watch the news, Carla," Marianna, her voice traveling off as she walked towards the sofa leaving Carla standing there.

She turned on the television only to witness once again more horrors of the abuse she had escaped, but there were more children out there. Children like she once was, innocent and unprepared. She was forced to grow up too soon and learn of the harshness of the world.

The news was all the same, the strong persecuting the weak. It was a world full of frightened people praying for a miracle. Soon, she became disgusted with the news and switched off the television. Suddenly she felt suffocated and stormed out of the house and slammed the door behind her.

She wasn't outside two minutes when Carla came out to join her. "Mary, what's wrong?" she asked.

"Everything," Marianna said and thought for a minute and wondered it that was the truth. "Nothing, I just don't think I can stay here anymore."

"But this is your home," Carla pleaded. She had a frightened look on her face. "You belong here."

"No, I don't," Marianna said shaking her head. "I'm but sure where I belong, but I know I have to stop hiding. What am I teaching my son by hiding away? I'll tell you. He's being taught to be ashamed of who he is. He's learning that Normals are right to hate us. He's also learning that he's nothing but a monster."

"That is not true, Mary," Carla said crossly. "Reese knows he's loved. That's what he's learning."

"That's not how I see it," Marianna said and paced for a few minutes before turning back to face Carla. "I need to do this, and I need to do it now."

"Where will you do?" Carla asked, fearing she will land in more trouble like the last time she left and the time before that.

"I don't know," Marianna said but she looked hopeful that this was the right decision. "I'll let you know when I get there."

"What about Reese?" Carla asked in concern. "Are you going to leave him again? He needs you, Mary. You are he mother, and..."

"I have no intention of leaving my son behind, Carla," she said in a commanding voice. She left him once, and she made him a promise that she would never do that again. "He belongs with me, so don't try to stop me from taking him with me."

"I wouldn't dream of it," Carla said defensively. "You're his mother, and he belongs with you. I just wished you believed you belonged here."

"This isn't goodbye, Carla,' Marianna said, trying to assure her. "I owe you so much. You once saved my life, not just physically. It just seems like every time I'm in trouble, you're always there to pick me up. One day I'll pay you back."

"That's not necessary, but I promise me if you don't find what you're looking for you'll come back." Marianna hesitated but Carla was silently pleading with her/

"I promise," she finally said and took her hand.

"I'm going to miss you, you know," Carla said and held tightly to her hands.

"I'll miss you too," Marianna said with a tear in her eye.

The two women had a tearful embrace, Marianna knowing she would never come back. As far as she knew she had no clairvoyant abilities, but her feelings had always guided her in the past, even though they had gotten her into trouble. She also promised herself that if trouble were to bring a visit onto her once again, she would be ready.

There's more coming in the next chapter when Marianna and her son Reese go on a road trip.