The Past Returns: Part 2

When she walked inside she was amazed at how big the place was. Her uncle certainly had built an amazing place for Sadians to live and learn.

"Momma, are we in a castle?" Reese asked when he saw the replica of a suit of arms.

He had seen it in a cartoon about King Author on television and since then he wanted to grow up to be a knight. Ty even carved him his own toy sword out of wood, and Carla bought him a knight's costume for their last Halloween at the cabin. He never had the chance to go trick or treating like normal kids, and she hoped maybe this year he could. Marianna wanted to give her son everything, but her main concern was his safety. What she had seen of the world giving him that would be her greatest accomplishment.

"No, sweetie," she said as he held tightly to her hand. "It's a mansion, but not really a castle."

"I wish it was," he said and his eyes grew bright. "Then I can be a knight." She touched the top of his head, thinking that his little boy dreams were wonderful to hear.

"Let's get you two settled," Julia said and led her down a long hallway.

As she expected she saw many famous paintings. She wasn't sure if they were copies or originals. If they were copies then they were good ones, and art was one of her favorite hobbies. Whether sculpture or painting art took her to another place, one of calm and peace, a place where she could forget her past deeds and become one with the art itself.

As she reached the end of the hallway she saw a painting that caught her eye. It was a painting of a little girl and a woman looking to be her mother. The girl looked sad and looked very much like Marianna herself did at that young age. She was mesmerized by the painting and couldn't stop looking at it.

"That's a beautiful one," Julia said and stopped walking to admire the painting as well. "It's called The Lost." Those words made Marianna jerk her head and she looked strangely at Julia. "It was painted by a former student."

"What's her name?" Marianna asked.

"Laura Demsey," she said and pulled out a photo album from her purse and flipped to a picture of a woman with light brown and green eyes. She wore glasses and looked to be of medium height and weight. "She works here now, as a counselor." Marianna nodded noting all that she was saying. "She also had the vision of Gina's kidnapping."

"That's why I'm here," she said and Julia took her hand.

"This way to your room," she said and led her further down the hall and opened up one of the doors was made of cherry oak. It was the same style of wood throughout the hallways, along with the deep red carpeting gave the place an old world feel, almost like a Victorian style of decorating.

Marianna and her son entered the room and there she saw a full bed with plush pillows on the bed, and it look very inviting after practically living out of a car for the last few days.

"Momma, I'm hungry," Reese said after he climbed up on the bed and sat on the edge.

Marianna looked at the clock and saw that it was after ten and well passed the time when he usually had breakfast.

Marianna looked at the clock and saw that it was passed ten in the morning and well passed the time when he usually had breakfast. "Well, where's the kitchen in this place?"

"Don't worry about that," Julia said and looked over at Reese. "I'll take him to the kitchen and then he can meet some of the other children."

"Well..." she said and looked over at Reese who had the hopeful look on his face. "Alright, go on, but be a good boy."

"I will," he said and jumped off the bed. "Bye, Momma." Julia led him out of the room, and she could hear him skipping down the hall with his new babysitter.