The Past Returns: Part 1

Chapter Six: The Past Returns

Marianna and Julia took turns driving, while the non-driver was in charge of keeping Reese occupied, so he didn't get too bored. The trip took several days, and Marianna refused to take a plane. She didn't like air travel with all the recording devices in the airport terminals. She preferred driving, because it made her feel more in control. It was a lot less conspicuous as well. Plus, there were always motels, restaurants and gas stations every few miles.

After a few days they were just outside New York and seeing the Welcome to New York sign, Marianna became nervous. She had avoided confronting Martin Drell all these years, but part of her wasn't angry at him anymore. Sure, she wanted to punish him for abandoning her, but she was more frightened of him rejecting her again. This time she had a son, and one thing she didn't want was for Reese to be hurt.

"So how long..." Marianna started the question but couldn't finish it. Julia was driving and Reese was sleeping in the back seat.

"Less than an hour," Julia said as they entered the city.

Marianna had never been to New York before. When she was a child she and her mother had planned to go, but the then she died and her life had been turned upside down. Later she made the decision to avoid the east coast just so she didn't have to be reminded of her uncle's betrayal.

"Are you nervous?" Julia asked her as she drove down the highway. They would be in Albany soon.

"I guess I am," Marianna said and heard her son stirring in the back seat. She looked back and saw him yawning still wrapped up in his blanket. She knew how cranky he could be when he first woke up. "Good morning, sweetie."

"Momma, I'm thirty," he said and looked into her cold bag and passed him a bottle of orange juice. He drank the cool drink in minutes and looked around for one of his toys. I have a few toys cars, and he had turned the back seat into his own little racetrack. The scene made Marianna relax a little more. She always loved to watch her son playing and just being the free-spirited little boy he truly was.

She looked out the window and saw a large cluster of buildings that looked like they were attached to each other. She observed the sign that read: Dell Institute for Higher Learning. The words made her role her eyes thinking about what the true meaning of the state actually meant.

"So are you ready?" Julia asked her, but Marianna hesitated in answering.

"Do I have a choice?" she asked while Julia was trying to be gracious.

"It will be alright," Julia said as she approached the gate. "Trust me."

Marianna heard those words many times, but it never ended up being alright. Julia seemed like a genuine person, so she decided she was going to put trust in her but only for now. She had already devised an escape plan just in case things went sour.

They were buzzed in and Julia parked the car, and the two women exited the car and gathered the luggage Marianna had in the truck. Reese happily jumped out of the car, not wanting to be closed up in that little car anymore. He took part in a past time that many little boys his age loved to do. Spinning in circles for no reason was one of his favorite past times. Marianna smiled at the freedom that youth bestowed upon her son.

"Reese, sweetie, you're going to make yourself dizzy," she said and Reese finally stopped and tried to walk towards her but staggered like a drunk person. The scene made her laugh and she came over and took his hand. He had a large suitcase in the other hand.

He recovered from his game and his mother led him up to the front door. Julia was about to open the door and turned to her. "We're finally here," she said, and Marianna looked like she just wanted to get this over with.

"Just open the door," Marianna said and Julia turned her key and ad ushered both Marianna and Reese inside.