Taken: Part 4

Brian reached the dock in search of Gina. He realized that he had messed up big time in not answering her question, but he was only trying to protect her. She would just get so angry whenever he tried to hover over her and keep her safe. She was always accusing him of treating her like a child, but she didn't realize he only did it because he loved her so much. He had known her for nearly ten years and always liked the pretty fragile girl.

Seeing that she didn't have any actives powers some of the other kids would pick on her. He would always come to her defense, and those times when she became ill he would watch over her, but she was right to protest. Even though she did had numerous mysterious ailments she was not weak. She always bounced back which made her stronger, and even though her body was weaker than other Sadian girls her mind was always sharp. She was always tutoring him in different subjects. Without her help he would have flunked out of school years ago.

His only mission right now was to apologize to her but as he reached the docks she was nowhere in sight. It was odd that her footprints had led him there, but she was nowhere to be found. The ground was still wet from last night's rainfall, so he could clearly see her muddy footprints on the wooden boards of the dock's edge. Her prints stop there, but there were none that led away from the water. Had she jumped in? He wasn't sure, but he had to find out. His powers of adaptability would allow him to breathe underwater, so he shed his clothes and jumped in.

Gills formed on the side of his face and his eyes altered to allow him to see clearly through the otherwise murky waters. There was no sign of her, but her scent was apparent near the surface of the water but died down as he swam deeper. Still he found nothing. He resurfaced and noticed something on one the poles from the dock. It was a small piece of ribbon. It was made of yellow lace and cut in a heart shape pattern. Since he didn't pick up her scent in the deeper part of the water, but more to the surface, she must have fallen in and been saved. Someone in a motor boat was highly unlikely. Where they had their argument wasn't that far away, and he would have heard something.

The only conclusion that he could draw was that Laura's premonition was right. She had to have been taken by air, mostly likely someone or something with wings. He couldn't smell another scent in the water, but there could have been one in the air, but he couldn't concentration. He was too worried. He pulled himself back up to the dock as his gills disappeared. He picked up his clothes and raced back to the complex. He needed help to find Gina and there was no time to waste.