The Past Returns: Part 4

Spending time with Dusk seemed so much easier and relaxed. Four years had changed him in a way. He was still that same gruff mountain man, but he didn't seem as angry or as intense as he once was.

"So this is the kitchen?" Marianna asked. "This is fairly nice."

"It's too sterile in this place," he said which made her laugh. "I prefer something a little more rough."

"So do I," she said and looked inside the refrigerator to see what there was to eat. "How about an omelet?"

"Only if it has some bacon or sausage in it." She made a face knowing that he knew that she was a vegetarian.

"Well, Reese and Ty eat meat all the time," she said and slammed a tube if sausage on the counter. "Why should you be any different?"

It made him laugh to see her being so domestic. "I didn't know you could cook."

"Having a kid a girl learns fast," she said and prepared the food for frying. She would make a plain cheese omelet for herself and a sausage and cheese omelet for him. She put some butter in the skillet and set the burner on the stove to the lowest setting.

"Make two for me," Dusk said and he came over to the percolator and started it so they could have some hot coffee. "Do you still take yours straight?"

"Yes, and, Dusk, don't get used to this," she said and dumped the last of the eggs in the bowl. She picked up the whisk and beat them. "I don't cook for strange men all the time."

"I'm not a strange," he said and came up behind her. "No stranger than you." She could feel his hot breath on her neck, and she didn't pay attention to what she was doing and the some of the juices sprayed up and splashed her wrist. She screeched when the liquid hit her.

She turned around and inspected the wound. "How bad is it?" he asked but he couldn't see it because she had it covered.

"It's fine," she said and stretched her fingers and saw the burn slowly disappear. "Sometimes it's good to be a healer." She made light of her stupidity, but he looked serious.

Things were getting a little too intense and turned around to concentrate on preparing the food. She took the spatula and lifted the omelet onto the plate. She repeated the process and turned around and handed him the plate. He took the plate but hesitated in taking it as she hesitated at letting it go.

"What about yours?" he asked. She came out if her daze to see that there was a second bowl of egg batter to make her omelet. She went back to work like nothing had happened.

It only took a few minutes for the coffee to be ready and by them her omelet was done cooking. She slid it onto the small plate and Dusk had a cup waiting for her when she came to the table.

"This is good," he said but she stayed silent. She couldn't get out of her head how careless she was and making a fool of herself in front of him. "How's your burn?" he asked and it seemed that he was nervous like she was.

"What burn?" she said and held up her wrist to that there was no burn. "I heal quickly."

"I see that," he said and finished off the rest of the food and even though the coffee was still hot he swallowed it down fast. He grunted shaking off the hotness of the drink. Perhaps he was showing her how fast he could heal.

Marianna only sipped her coffee and thought back four years ago when they eat together in her family home, now they were at her uncle's estate, but no one knew that but Julia and herself. Before any other words could be said a few people walked into the kitchen. A young man looking to be a teenager and two other woman, one Marianna didn't recognize and Julia Donner, the woman who brought her here.

"Oh, Marianna, I see you got yourself some breakfast and with a very handsome companion," Julia said and it looked like she was possibly trying to play matchmaker.

"Dusk and I are old friends," Marianna said and Julia's eyes perked up even more. "So who are your friends?"

"Oh, this is Brian Underwood," Julia said and introduced the young man. Marianna rose from her seat and shook his hand. "He's the last person that saw Gina before she was taken."

"I'm so sorry she was kidnapped," Marianna said once she let go of his hand. "We'll do everything we can to find her."

"We'll find her," Brian said and there was a look of determination is his eyes. "We have a briefing in an hour, so don't be late. Marianna, is it?"

"Call me Fanta," she said, "and this is...?"

"This is Zora Faye, Brian's cousin," Julia said introducing a young woman with soft brown hair. She looked to be Marianna's age. She shook her hand and felt a surge of heat rush through her body.

"Sorry," she said and pulled her hand away. Smoke came off her fingers, and she shook her hand until the smoke disappeared. "Sometimes I can always control that."

"Elemental?" Marianna asked.

"Yeah," Zora said and backed away hiding her hands behind her back.

"Don't be late for the meeting," Brian repeated and had a serious look on his face.

"We'll be there, kid," Dusk said and stood up. He walked out of the kitchen and down the hall. Marianna thought to herself that this was going to be an interesting mission.

This is the end of chapter six and I hope you enjoyed it. There more coming in chapter seven when the team assembles for the mission.