The Eyes of a Stranger: Part 6

Mike sat on his bed in his hotel room alone. He was fiddling with that card in his hand. It had Julia Donner's name and number on it. She was the personal assistant to Martin Drell. He knew that man all too well. They had a history and had been friends and associates for years, and he was the uncle of the woman he loved. He knew of her hatred for him, but he was the only one right now who could keep her safe.

For one moment he had that selfish thought of being together with her, but he knew the cost was too great. That little boy, Reese, he had a great destiny to fulfill, and he could not interfere with that. The bravest thing he could do was let her go.

He picked up the phone and dialed the number. He knew it was late in New York, but Julia didn't keep regular banker's hours. He didn't know many people who did. The phone rang several times, that was too many times for him. He was about to hang up when he heard a woman's voice on the line.

"Yes," the woman said.

"Hello. Julia," Mike said. He could hear a long sigh over the phone. "Surprised to hear from me."

"Maybe a little," she said. "After our last conversation..."

"I haven't changed my mind," he said.

"That's a shame because we could use a man of your skill for this job."

"How about a woman?" he said. There was a long silence.

"Who do you have in mind?" she asked finally.

"Marianna Faigon," he said and he heard a gasp over the phone. "But she's...

"She's alive, very much alive, and it's about time Drell know it too."

"Where can I find her?" she asked.

"In Phoenix, but you better get here fast," Mike said. "I got a feeling she might bolt at any time, and I just don't feel like chasing after that woman cross the whole damn globe."

"Alright, I'll be there in the morning," she said. "Just give me an address and keep an eye out for her until I get there."

"Tomorrow morning and then I'm off the clock," he said. "I can't take a chance of her seeing me again."

"Why not?" Julia asked.

"That's my business, Jules, just get here and fast," he said.

"I'll be there as soon as I can get a flight," she said.

He hung up the phone and just laid there in silence. Maybe someday he would forget about the woman, and he could if he wanted to. The truth was that he didn't want to.