The Past Returns: Part 3

Marianna saw that her luggage was in the hallway outside her room. Julia must have had someone drop it there, so she didn't have to go back into the foyer to get it. She had three pieces of luggage and her purse which she put in the long mirrored dresser. Since there was only one bed in this room she hoped that Reese's room wouldn't be too far away. For most of his life they had shared a room, but he was getting older and needed his own space to grow and so did she.

She dragged the suitcase that contained her things and threw it on the bed. She opened of the black suitcase made of thick leather and began the process of putting her things in the dresser drawers. She didn't know how long she would be here, but she didn't have that many clothes anyway. Most of Reese's toys were still in the trunk of the car. She only let him bring the things he really loved and left the rest with Ty and Carla or with Hillary and little Denny.

She started with her clothes first and neatly placed them in the dresser drawer. She had a few pairs of black pants and matching tops and then there were her unmentionables. She had forgotten the door was open, and she felt a shadow of something behind her. She recognized the scent of a man's Brute cologne mixed in with the scent of cheap cigarettes and dirt. She turned around to see the face of a man she recognized. He was a few years older, but he still looked the same.

"What brings you here?" she asked as he stared her down.

"Same as you," he said and came closer to her.

"Are you sure?" she asked and looked away. She didn't want to see the intense eyes of John 'Dusk' Mason. After they had parted four years ago she wanted to put him out of her mind, but something or someone had drew them towards each other once again. "I never thought I'd see you again."

"Same here," he said and that sad look still remained in his eyes. "How've you been?"

"I'm fine," she said, but that wasn't all together true. She now wondered if whatever it was that was drawing her east had less to do with her uncle and was more about Dusk. "I'm here with my son."

As if on cue the rambunctious four year old ran into the room shouting for his mother. Two other children followed. "Momma, I made some new friends," he said excitedly.

"That's wonderful," Marianna said and smiled. "Would you like to introduce me to them?"

"Hi, I'm Jordon," said a browned haired little boy with glasses. He looked to be the same age as Reese. She also noticed a little girl in pigtails that bashfully hiding behind Jordon.

"Who is this pretty little princess?" Marianna asked as she looked down at the child.

"She's no princess," Jordon said, stepping away so Marianna could see her. "She's just my sister."

"What's your name, sweetheart?" Marianna asked her in a quiet voice.

"Dora," the little girl said in the faintest whisper.

"That's a nice name," Marianna said and the little girl giggled.

Marianna heard a woman calling from the hallway. It was the names of the two children Reese had made friends with.

"Oh, there you two are," the woman said, and Marianna looked over to see a woman who looked slightly older than her with light brown hair and glasses. Little Dora looked like a pint-sized version of the woman. She wore a white blouse and a checkered skirt. After looking relieved in finding the children the woman looked over at Marianna. "Hi, I'm Laura Demsey, and these are my two terrors."

"Mom," the little boy groaned while crossing his arms.

"I'm Marianna, Reese's mother," she said and shook the woman's hand.

"Momma, can we go play?" Reese asked. "I wanna show Jordon how good I can dribble."

"Well..." Marianna thought for a moment. She didn't want Reese wondering off and getting lost.

"Don't worry," Laura said. "I can take them out to the playground and we can have snacks after."

"Yay!" all three kids said at the same time.

"Alright, but you mind Mrs. Demsey, alright," Marianna said, while pointing a finger at her son.

"Yes, Momma," Reese said but quickly turned to his two new friends. "Come on guys, let's go," He ran out of the room with Jordon and Dora trailing behind. Laura Demsey followed giving one last wave before disappearing in the hallway. Marianna felt sorry for the woman having to chase after three small children.

"So, that's your kid," Dusk said after the three children and the young mother left. "He looks like you."

"He looks like my father," Marianna said correcting him.

"Still, he looks like a good kid," Dusk said and came close to her, but she pulled away. "Sorry, I guess it's been too long."

"No, it's not that," she said with sadness in her eyes. "It's just hard forgetting the past."

"I know, and I don't blame you for leaving me," he said and looked away. "I still ain't over Van. I still have a lot of guilt about it, especially you and me."

"So do I," she said and felt her stomach growling. "I'm a little hungry." She said it more to change the subject. "Why don't we see what this slop house has to offer?"

"Sure," he said and took her hand and followed her out.