On the Road Again: Part 1

Chapter Five: On the Road Again

Marianna was practically up all night. She couldn't get the image of being burned alive about of her head, that along with the dreams that she had been having, she was sure that danger was in her future. She had no intention of putting her new friend Hillary or her son in danger. There was only one thing she could do. She and Reese had to leave as quickly as possible.

She was being pulled east by some great evil, and she was determined to stop it before anyone else got hurt. There was only one thing that terrified her, something happening to her son. She couldn't leave him again. She had promised him that when he was a baby, but she had to find a safe place for him.

By the next morning she had three large suitcases waiting in the living room. She had cleaned out the refrigerator and put what little food they had in a small box. Reese was awakened by the commotion and walked into the living room to see his mother hard at work. He was confused by this, but Marianna just smiled at her son who still had sleep in his eyes.

"Momma, we go?" he asked.

"Yes, honey, we can't stay here anymore," she said as she finished getting everything ready.

"'Cause of bad dreams and the bad coin that make Momma sad?" he asked and in his own way he understood completely about what was going on.

Marianna stopped for a moment and looked over at her little boy's sad eyes. "Reese, honey, that's not the reason. I know you don't understand, but there's another place we have to be."

"Momma, I don't wanna go," he said with tears in his eyes.

"I know," she said and embraced him. "I don't either, but sometimes we do things we don't want to do, but we do them because we have to."

"But why?"

"Reese, I'm sorry, but we have to go," she said insistently. She hated doing this to him, but she had no choice. "I know how much you like it here, but we can't stay. One day you'll understand."

Within an hour she had the car packed. Reese was in a sour mood as he plopped down into the passenger's side front seat. Marianna put the last suitcase in the trunk when Hillary came out to the driveway.

"You're leaving?" she asked in a confused tone. "I thought you had decided to stay."

"I can't, Hil," Marianna said, slamming the trunk door shut. "I can't explain it, but I just can't."

"Isn't there anything I can say to make you change your mind?" Hillary pleaded with her.

"No, Hil," she said and shook her head. "Something's pulling me east, and I have to follow it through," She continued her work and she continued her explanation. "If it turns out to be nothing, I'll come back."

Hillary gave her a quick hug. "Take care of yourself, M.J.," she said with a tear in her eye. "I'll miss you."

Marianna revved up the car and drove off leaving Hillary to wonder what was really going on with her.