When Dreams Become Nightmares: Part 1

Note: This is a picture of Hillary I made with Daz

Chapter Two: When Dreams Become Nightmares

It only took Marianna a few days to find some suitable housing for her and her son with Hillary's help. She was able to find a ground floor two bedroom apartment for just a few hundred dollars a month.

Marianna didn't stay idle. She realized her money wouldn't last forever, so she thought it was time she found a job. She only worried about Reese's well-being. She hated to leave him even for a few hours.

Hillary coerced her into letting her watch over Reese while she was working. Marianna agreed since he had become such good friends with Denny, and Marianna took a shine to Hillary. She didn't have any other women her own age to pal around with, so it was nice. Marianna landed a job as a bartender at a local bar. The pay was decent, and it was a night job which gave her the freedom to be with Reese during the day.

After a month or so Marianna and her son's life finally took to their new routine. For the time being, she was happy. She even dated occasionally but only on a casual basis.

One morning after Marianna returned home from her shift, she went straight to the first floor to collect her son from Hillary's. She knocked on the door and patiently waited.

"Be right there," Hillary's voice called from inside.

Hillary quickly answered the door. She was in her more grubby clothes, and she was holding a feather duster. It wasn't a look the blonde woman would show off in public. Being an ex-model she had a great fashion sense and commented to Marianna that she wore way too much black, but that was just her way and no amount of prodding would change that.

"Hello, Hil," Marianna said, walking inside. "That's a great look for you." Marianna was teasing her that same way she would tease her when they would go shopping for clothes.

"Okay, don't start, because I used to be a model doesn't mean I have to look glamorous all the time."

"That's true, but I think the biker bar look would be great on you." Hillary threw her a nasty look. "Hil, you wear too much pink."

"And you don't wear enough," she said, teasing her back. Marianna was still standing in the doorway. "Oh, where's my manners," Hillary said. "Please, sit down. Would you like a cup of tea?"

"No, thanks," Marianna said and looked around. "I'll just get Reese and go."

"M.J., wait. Look. The boys are still asleep, and besides you look tired. Now, why don't you go on downstairs and take a nap, and in a few hours when you're all refreshed, give a little ring and I'll bring him down."

"Hil, I don't know," Marianna said in protest. "I don't even like leaving him to go to work."

"M.J., you need a break. So go on. Reese will be fine."

Marianna finally gave in too taken in by exhaustion to argue. She took the stairwell down to her apartment and collapsed on the sofa. She was so exhausted that she hadn't noticed that she that she left the keys in the door.