- a -

michael knew for as long as he could remember that his soulmate would have the most beautiful voice that he'd ever heard. maybe it was just a gut feeling, or maybe it was because of the solid black quarter-note tattoo that had appeared on his right inner wrist on his fifth birthday. at least his mom told him that it had appeared on his fifth birthday. michael loved hearing the stories about tattoos appearing. he loved hearing stories from his parents and his grandparents, and really everyone about how they met their soulmates even more so.

   some people talked about how they just deduced who their soulmate was based off of the numerous tattoos that had appeared along their skin as their birthdays kept coming, but others talked about how as soon as they saw they truly fell in love with their real soulmate, everything became different. no, i don't mean 'different' as in there was something different chemically, or in the air or something like that. i mean that there was color. color. a concept that was foreign to michael to this day.

   michael had never believed that the concept of color was a myth. although,  yeah, he supposed that to some people maybe it was. to michael, and many others, everything was grey. everything. michael dreamed of the day that he'd perhaps be able to see different shades and tones of color among the grey that he currently saw. that would be the day.

   you see, everyone got tattoos. everyone got tattoos on their body every year on their birthday, and sometimes those tattoos would correlate with more than one person. that was just how the world was hardwired. that was normal. i mean, the chances of finding the perfect person for you is one in seven billion. but the chances of finding someone that you're compatible with? that's maybe one in one billion, you feel?

   and thats where the concept of color comes in. the only people who can see color are those who find and fall in love with their soulmate. their real one.

   michael's great grandmother used to always describe to him how beautiful the world used to be. everyone used to actually try to find their real soulmate, not just someone that they were compatible with. so many people were able to see color, and it was beautiful. but it wasn't that way anymore. to find someone who can tell the difference between the color of two roses is almost an impossible feat.

   and that's why michael made it his personal goal to find his real soulmate. not just because he wanted to fall so deeply in love that he couldn't think of anything else, but because he wanted to make the world beautiful again. he wanted to be able to see color. he wanted everyone to be able to see color.