- p -

the first day of college wasn't as bad as michael thought it'd be. it was better than high school, even. the selection of people was so much less limited. michael saw people taller than him, shorter than him; thinner, thicker; nicer, meaner; in love, not; conservative, liberal as fuck; straight, gay; basically everyone and anyone was there. including michael's soulmate (little did he know).

michael was pleasantly surprised at lunchtime when right as he was about to eat lunch alone in the corner, luke somehow found him in the midst of the thousands of college students, inviting him to sit with him and his cool friends before insisting they exchange numbers. "just in case," he had smiled, dimples and all. it made michael's knees weak.

luke's friends were basically half of the student body. they all were wearing letterman's, and gave michael looks that he didn't specifically appreciate. luke didn't mind them though, and freely integrated michael into conversations he never thought he'd become a part of.

after michael had retired back to the dorm, and had finished changing into something more comfortable (sweatpants instead of black skinny jeans), he picked up the giver, which happened to be one of his favorite books. it made him remember the way society had fallen. everyone used to be able to see all colors. now, you could only see the color of your soulmate's eyes. of course, michael had no problem seeing baby blue in everything. the sky was beautiful, and he felt like luke must've caught him staring intently around at the sky, bodies of water, and mainly luke's eyes, but he hadn't said anything.

"oblivious," michael mumbled to himself (as he always did), "he's fucking oblivious."

he picked up his phone, and saw a text from calum. calum had actually texted him.

from calum: how's it cookin in the us of a

to calum: well i found my soulmate

from calum: are you serious? mikey-- pictures!

to calum: hahahaha jokes on you he doesnt feel the same and he doesnt know

from calum: :( mikey

to calum: its okay
to calum: he'll figure it out eventually.
to calum: hes my FRICKING roommate

from calum: what color?

to calum: blue

from calum: beautiful

the conversation ended there, but michael felt like it was more real. he felt like everything had suddenly become more real.

suddenly, he heard the door to the room begin to unlock, and he quickly changed positions so the first thing luke saw was not michael lying with his limbs everywhere on the bed. he shifted so that he was propped on one hand, playing subway surfers on his phone with the other.

luke popped his head through the door. he looked a little off, but a smile lit up his face when he noticed michael there. "hey, mikey."

"hey, luke," michael breathed out, it coming out a lot quieter than michael wanted it to as he ever so casually chucked his phone at the mattress.

"so," he drew if out, sitting down on michael's bed near michael's legs. "how was your first day?"

"it was good. way better than high school." he mentally contemplating thanking luke, before deciding fuck it. "t-thanks for not leaving me hanging at lunch. usually i'm the kind of person people kind of ignore. it means a lot."

"are you kidding me? anytime for my new roomie. you're always welcome to hang out with me." he smiled, and michael felt like his face was a blushing mess.

hopefully luke wouldn't notice.