Chapter One

Long drives make me crazy.

First, you have the fast food places that you inevitably have to stop at; it's practically unavoidable unless you remember to pack a full bag of snacks and drinks. Then you have the cramped legs, numbed butt, and the constant glaring sun shining in your eyes.

The worst thing about long drives though, is when you have an annoying twin brother.

"Can you please stop singing?" I groan in annoyance.

Luke grins, belting out the finale to the latest pop song on the radio before turning down the volume, "C'mon Quinn, you love my singing."

I roll my eyes, "Yeah, right."

"We should be getting there soon anyway."

"Thank god," I mutter earning a light smack on my arm.

Following closely behind my father's car, we take an exit leading us directly into a town called Crestfield. I sigh in relief, knowing that what Luke said about being close is the truth. After a four hour drive, I can't wait to be able to stand up and stretch my legs.

Buildings surround us as we drive through the main streets of the small city. I recognize this part of town as a business district. Men and women dressed in suits and other business attire strut down the street talking on cellphones or simply sipping from to-go coffee cups. Soon enough, the buildings begin to thin out until we're cruising through a suburban area. Bright, clean houses line both sides of the street, groomed with lush green lawns and flora that will soon be covered in a layer of soft white snow in a few months. The houses are placed so close together that you'd have to squeeze in between them to pass through to the backyard.

Pulling into a driveway, I stare up at the two story white structure that we'll learn to call home. Complete with a porch that extends the entire front of the house, elegant black shutters lining the windows, and a tall oak tree in the middle of the yard, I'd say that it would be a perfect place for an All-American family to live.

Too bad it gets our dysfunctional one.

I glance at Luke for just a moment before we make a mad dash to the front door. He attempts to trip me as we enter, but I take the stairs two at a time. Turning left, I see there are only two doors down that hallway. Opening the first, I get a glimpse of a bathtub and immediately bolt to the second room. I don't care about the bathroom right now. All I want is the first pick of the bedrooms.

Gorgeous dark violet walls tower over me when the door swings open, along with two white doors to the left of the room and a window on the right. The floors are made of dark wood and seem to be brand new.

"Mine!" I shout before Luke can even get a chance to look around.

He chuckles, "I figured you would want it since purple is your favorite color. You're lucky I don't want a girly room like this and let you have it instead."

I snort, "You didn't let me have anything. I called it first."

He shakes his head, turning around probably to find his own room, and I sigh in content. This room is perfect. It matches my personality, not to mention that it has lots of space. Opening one of the doors on the left, I grin at the sight of a large walk in closet that should fit all of my clothes and still have room for more. The other door is another closet, only this one has multiple shelves and cubby holes for maximum storage space. I frown, hoping it was going to be my own bathroom, but we can't have everything we want. I'm just going to have to suffer and share the main bathroom with Luke.

"You can start with boxes, Quinn," Dad calls out as I jog down the front steps to help.

He's tugging one of the bookcases that belong to me out of the moving truck so I make my way over to the growing pile of boxes on the paved driveway. I'll be in charge of the boxes whereas the movers that we hired and the guys carry in all the large furniture. I begin with the packages labelled 'KITCHEN' and start to carry them inside.

"How many bookcases do you need?" Luke grumbles as he passes me, carrying the second one from the truck.

I grin, "My books need a home."

"You know they don't have feelings, right?"

I simply shake my head at his inability to understand my fascination with books. Reading helps me escape to a world that isn't my own for a little while. It helps me get my mind off things that stress me. Without books, I probably would have gone insane by now.

It takes a whole hour to unload everything from the truck, not to mention three and a half more to unpack almost everything. Luckily, the house was already sparkling clean before we moved in or else it would have taken us longer.

"How do you like the new place so far?" Dad asks.

"It's nice. My room is really big," I mumble, reaching to grab a slice of pizza from the box on the coffee table. I almost moan at the delicious taste that explodes in my mouth.

"I like it, too," Luke exclaims, a mouth full of pizza.

My face twists in disgust, "Don't talk with your mouth full!"

Just to piss me off, he grins showing his half-chewed food. In retaliation, I throw one of the small pillows on the couch at his head. He ducks out of the way quickly, but ends up choking on his food in the process. I burst out laughing, even though choking isn't really a laughing matter, but I can't help it. His expression was just too funny.

"Karma's a bitch," I smirk when he's left with a red face.

"Language, Quinn!" Dad scolds.

"Sorry," I glance at Luke to see him give me the finger while Dad leans down to grab more pizza.

My mouth drops open at the gesture, but before I can react more my father sits back up.

Quickly devouring a few more slices, I stand up from the new black leather couch we bought after I destroyed the old one and send Dad a pointed look. "I'm going to bed since I have to wake up early to go to school. I can't believe you're making us go tomorrow. We just moved in today."

He simply stuffs his face with more pizza and rolls his eyes at my so-called 'dramatic' behavior. His words, not mine.

Tomorrow's going to be a long day.