Chapter Four

"Morning, Quinn," Jordan greets me as I walk up the steps towards my new friends.

"Good morning," I return.

"Is that your car?" Julia asks, nodding to our beauty.

"Yeah, Luke and I share it. It was a present for our sixteenth birthday."

"I wish I had my own car instead of just borrowing my mom's every now and then," Lena sighs.

I watch as Jordan stares at Lena with a dazed look on his face. I'd know that look anywhere. It's the same one I used to have when I looked at Jayden; the one with the glazed over eyes, slight adoring smile, and blushing cheeks.

Before I can pull him aside to ask about it the bell for first period rings and everyone rushes to get inside. Julia pulls me to English and I sit at the same desk as yesterday. Luke is talking to the boy sitting behind him. He must have gotten to class early enough because it looks like they're deep in conversation.

Luke turns to me, "Quinn, this is Caleb. He's the captain of the basketball team and is going to help me with tryouts."

I smile at Caleb, "Hi."

He grins, "It's nice to meet you."

Julia simply smiles adoringly at Luke with blushing cheeks and I smirk when she catches me looking at her.

"What?" she asks innocently

I lean over and whisper, "Do you have a thing for my brother?"

"What? Of course I don't."

I laugh, "It's okay if you do. He's great. I mean, of course he is he's related to me after all."

Julia gives me a flat look.

"I'm just kidding, but he is a great guy. You should ask him out."

Her eyes widen and she shakes her head fervently, "No way! I don't even know him"

I scoff, "Then get to know him."

She bites her lip. "Maybe."

"I won't push you about it."

"Thanks, Quinn."

***

Strolling into the cafeteria for lunch, I stand in line with Julia and Lena. I scan at the choices of food and pay for a simple turkey sandwich, a chocolate chip cookie, and a bottle of water.

"Hey," I smile at Kayden when we sit down at our table.

He returns the gesture, "Hey."

"What are all of your classes?"

"I have Biology first period, English second, Math third, and then gym."

"You have Biology first period? That has to be rough," I grimace.

"It's not bad. I actually like science so it's not a big deal."

"Kayden is a science nerd," Jordan says, plopping down on the seat next to me not taking notice of the blush on his friend's face.

"Why don't we hang out this weekend, maybe at my house?" I suggest randomly.

"That's a great idea. That way we can get to know you better," Lena grins.

"So, this Saturday at my house is okay with everyone?" I confirm.

They nod their heads and go back to eating their lunch. I pick up my sandwich, take a bite, and look around the cafeteria at all the different groups of people. There aren't any specific groupings like the cliché would suggest. They're just people enjoying the company of other people. The only cliché about it is the table of jocks and cheerleaders. They sit at the far end of the cafeteria near the windows. I'm sitting close enough to see them and observe, but not close enough to hear what any are saying; not that I want to know what any of them are talking about anyway.