Chapter eight

Walking into the cafeteria alone on Monday, I find myself standing in front of Reece Daniels instead of sitting at my regular table. I can feel the burning gazes staring at my back but I ignore them the best I can. I know that my friends are probably confused about what I'm doing. As far as they know, I've had no real interaction with Reece outside of school. Boy, are they wrong. I know the one thing that everyone is so desperate to know is true.

"What are you doing?" he asks rudely as I set my tray down on the table.

"Sitting."

"I can see that. I meant, why are you sitting here?"

    "Very good question, Reece," I reply, shoving a few fries into my mouth.

    Last night after I finished my weekly Sunday workout, I realized that I struggle without a trainer. Zach had always been there with me when I needed help or motivation to actually finish everything I needed to do. But he isn't here now and I had trouble just getting through the run in the morning.

"Well are you going to answer it?"

"Even though you're incredibly rude, I have a proposition for you."

He rolls his eyes. "Yes, I definitely want to comply to whatever you want after you've insulted me."

"Listen, I've seen you fight and I know you're good. I want you to train me," I whisper, leaning forward so no one can hear.

"You want me to what?" he asks in surprise, for once dropping the scowl etched on his face.

"I want you to train me."

He laughs sardonically. I stare at him in confusion and finally snap, "Why are you laughing?"

"You're not serious." he huffs, ignoring my question.

"As a heart attack."

"What would I get out of it?"

I grin, "The joy of helping someone out of the goodness of your heart?"

He snorts, "There is no goodness in my heart."

"C'mon Reece," I whine helplessly. "I really need the help."

If I don't get another trainer soon, I'm going to end up a disaster. I even searched for another boxing club in the area but came up with nothing. I wouldn't be asking him if it wasn't my last resort.

He sighs, "I can't believe I'm doing this. Fine, I'll train you."

"You will?"

I didn't think he would give in so easily.

"Every Tuesday, Thursday, and Sunday without any complaints," he demands sternly.

I nod, "I have my own gym set up in my house so we can train there."

"We start tomorrow."

I nod and shove more fries into my mouth. As I chew, I glance up to see him staring at me with a raised eyebrow, "What?"

"What are you still doing here?"

I give him a 'duh' look, "Eating."

"You can leave now. This doesn't make us friends."

Before I can reply the cheerleading bimbo that was partnered with Luke for gym class saunters up behind him. Placing her hand on his bicep, she grins, "Hey Reece."

My eyebrows rise at her attempt at a seductive tone and I watch as Reece cringes away from her.

"What do you want, Rebecca?"