Chapter Five

The sun warms my skin as I amble down the street toward the library. I told Luke that I was checking out the library after school and that I'd just walk home. It's not far from school, so after a mere ten minutes I arrive at my destination.

I love reading books. It's something that my mother and I had shared before the incident. I used to read books, and if they were interesting enough I would pass it along to her. She did the same for me.

The public library looks more like a large house than anything else. It has a Victorian feel to it and I can't help but stare in amazement. You don't see many buildings like these nowadays. I let out a content sigh as I step into the air conditioned building, smiling at the librarian sitting behind the front desk. I begin to browse the aisles, but not being able to find the young adult section, decide to double back to ask for help.

"Can you tell me where the young adult section is?" I ask the librarian politely.

"It's up the stairs to the left; aisle seven," she grins.

"Thank you."

"You're welcome, sweetie."

I walk up the stairs, looking at the numbers on the aisles until I get to number seven. I browse through the books on the shelf, sometimes reading the summary of one before putting it back again until I find one that seems interesting enough. Shuffling my feet to the side, I make my way farther down the aisle. My eyes are locked on the spines of the novels until I stumble into a warm, muscular body. A surprised gasp escapes my lips and the book in my hand falls to the ground as warm fingers wrap around my upper arm to steady me. I gawk as a pair of chocolate brown eyes stares blankly at me. Reece lets his arm fall to his side when he realizes I'm not at risk of falling over anymore.

"Sorry," he mumbles, bending to grab the book that fell out of my hands.

"It's fine. I wasn't watching where I was going."

He nods and I take the book he hands to me, "Thanks."

Why is he being so nice, yet so cold at the same time? He nods again, stepping to the side to walk around me. I turn, keeping my stare on him as he browses the aisle opposite the one I'm looking at. I look at the sign, noting it's the horror section.

'That's an odd section to be next to the young adult one,' I think to myself.

"Do you need something?" Reece snaps.

My eyes widen at his harsh tone. "No, I was just zoned out."

He raises an eyebrow, but goes back to looking at the shelf again. I wonder what he's doing here. I can't really picture Reece being the read-for-fun type of guy. Before I can think about it I blurt, "What are you looking for?"

He glances at me, eyes alight with annoyance. "You don't need to know."

"It was just a question," I roll my eyes.

A scowl darkens his face, "It's none of your business."

I glare, spitting out, "Fine, whatever."

I spin on my heel, marching out of the section, down the stairs, all the way to the librarian's desk.

"I'd like to check out this book, but I don't have a library card."

"That's fine. I'll just sign you up for one," she replies politely.

I nod my head and she grabs a card from a drawer in her desk. She swipes it in a device that looks like a debit machine before telling me to sign the back of it. I do as I'm told then she takes the card back entering a few things into her computer.