Chapter twenty-two

Sunlight filters in through my window when I wake up on Saturday morning. Turning my head to look at the red numbers on my alarm clock, I groan when I realize it's only eight-thirty in the morning. I bury my head beneath my pillows in hope that I'll be able to fall back to sleep, but my hopes are futile.

I sigh, slipping out of my heavenly bed and dragging my feet into the bathroom. I wash my hands after doing my business and lift my shirt up to see the black ink imbedded into my skin. I smile at the sight before gently washing the area and patting it dry with a clean towel. Luke bursts into the bathroom just as I finish putting lotion on it.

"Luke!" I scream. "What the hell!"

He stares wide eyed at my side, the tattoo on my ribs proudly on display.

"Quinn, when did you get a tattoo?" Luke asks slowly.

I chuckle nervously. "Um, last night."

Luke lowers his head to get a closer look while I stand there awkwardly with my shirt half way up my chest.

"Huh," is all he says, backing away a few steps.

"Is that a good huh or a bad huh?"

"It's a good huh. I like it, Quinn. Although I wish you would have told me before you got it so I could go with you," he says after thinking it over for a moment.

I lower my shirt. "Did you need something or do you regularly barge into occupied bathrooms?"

    "Sorry about that," he flushes. "Do you want to hang out with me today? I feel like we haven't spent time together in a while."

"Yeah sure, did you have anything in mind?"

I really do love hanging out with Luke and it has been awhile since it's been just the two of us.

"Well, Julia's birthday is on Wednesday so I figured we could go buy her a gift," he suggests.

Julia's eighteenth birthday is the day before Halloween and she had asked us all to go out to dinner with her to celebrate. Most people have parties for their birthdays, but she said she just wants to spend time with her close friends. So Luke, Lena, Jordan, Kayden, and I are all going out to dinner with her and then we girls are spending the night at her house even though it's a school night. Lena and I will simply get ready at Julia's and catch a ride to school with her.

Luke tells me to get ready and meet him downstairs when I'm done so I dress into a simple pair of black leggings, an oversized grey knit sweater that hangs off of my right shoulder, and black combat boots.

"Ready?" he asks as I jog down the stairs.

I nod and lock the front door as it shuts behind us.

"I want to buy her something that I know she'll love. It has to be perfect," Luke exclaims when we walk through the doors that lead into the mall.

There are tons of people parading around the stores today, probably looking for last minute Halloween costumes or candy. We start to walk around and look into stores for something for Julia when I come across a clothing store that has some pretty dresses in the display windows.

I grasp Luke's wrist and drag him into the store behind me. I know that she loves to wear dresses and this store is filled with them so it shouldn't be too hard to find one that she'll love. As I am looking through one of the racks, I see a flowing cream coloured material sticking out from in between two other dresses. I pull it off the rack and see that it reaches probably around mid-thigh in length and it's cinched at the waist by an elastic band. It also has a sleeveless illusion neckline and I know Julia will love it. Since it's the end of October, she might be cold wearing it as it is sleeveless, but it's casual enough that she could pair it with a light coloured cardigan or sweater.