Chapter eleven

"Have you started on the essay for English yet?" Julia questions frantically as she slams the lunch tray she carries onto the table.

    My conversation with Jordan halts as I take in her frizzy hair and the dark circles under her eyes. Julia has never looked so unkempt before, at least she hasn't in front of me. She's dressed in a pair of leggings and an oversized sweater and that is not a usual outfit for her. Something must be wrong.

    "I did a little brainstorming last night, but that's it so far," I reply hesitantly.

    She grunts and drops her body onto a chair tiredly, "I have no idea where to even begin."

    "We got the assignment yesterday and you're already stressed about it?"

    Her hands cover her face in frustration, "It's not just that. I have to start planning this year's fundraisers and you're stupid brother is stupid."

    My eyebrows shoot up. She looks like she hasn't slept in a year because of Luke?

    "You just said stupid twice," Jordan jumps in.

    She glares at him, "Because he's extra stupid."

    "What did he do now?" I sigh.

    "He's been over there flirting with Miss. I'm-so-cool-I-have-a-rich-daddy-sending-me-abroad-next-year."

    My head swivels around to see Luke with his arm around a pretty redhead. They're laughing together but his eyes flash over in our direction every few minutes. Rolling my eyes, I realize he's trying to make Julia jealous which in a way is working but it's also making her miserable to the point where she hasn't slept.

    "Oh, Julia," I sigh. "He's trying to make you jealous."

    She shakes her head, "No, he totally likes her. Look at the way he's pulling her closer to him."

    Glancing in their direction, all I see is Luke pulling away from her slightly but the redhead just leans against him more. It looks like they're cuddling, but I can tell it isn't the truth.

    "I don't see it," Jordan disagrees. "It looks like he's trying to get away."

    Julia huffs, "Well, he's obviously not trying hard enough."

    I reach over and take her hand. "I'm sorry my brother is such an idiot. He'll come around and realize that you're perfect for him."

    "Boys are stupid," she mumbles, resting her forehead on the table.

    "Hey!" Jordan exclaims. "I'm offended by that."

    I raise my brow. "Really?"

    He blushes, "Yeah, okay."

    "I mean, you haven't told Lena about your feelings for her yet so I guess that's pretty stupid."

    His head snaps up to look at me. "What!?"

    Julia tilts her head to smirk at him. "Your feelings for her are so obvious."

    "They are not!" he gasps. "I mean, what feelings?"

    I burst out laughing. "You two are so clueless."

    Before he can retort, a chair falling to the floor echoes around the room and we all swivel around to look. Even Julia lifts her head long enough to see the commotion.

    Two tables down from ours, Reece stands frantically rifling through his bag for something. His chair is sprawled on the floor behind him and everyone is staring at him in either confusion or annoyance. It isn't until I see the red splotches developing on his arms and neck that I realize something is horribly wrong.