Chapter twenty-four

I slip the feathered headband onto my head and slide my feet into my black heeled boots. It's Halloween night and we're going to the haunted house that the community holds every year. It's held in an empty warehouse on the edge of town making it near the woods which only adds to the eerie atmosphere.

After I finish dressing in my costume, a black flapper dress with matching accessories, I saunter down the stairs to meet everyone in front of the house. Julia, Lena, Jordan, and Kayden are meeting us along with Reece and Seb.

I walk outside and see that everyone is already here, including Luke who's holding Julia's hand.

"Is everyone ready?" I ask stepping off the porch.

"Wow, you look great, Quinn," Kayden grins at me.

"Thanks Kayd," I return his smile.

"So Jordan, Lena, Julia, and I are going in our car and you, Kayden, Seb, and Reece can go in Kayden's car," Luke tells me.

I nod and we split up into two groups, hopping into the vehicles. I hop into the back of Kayden's Honda Civic along with Reece while Kayden gets behind the wheel and Seb gets shotgun.

"Reece, why aren't you wearing a costume?" I demand.

"I don't like dressing up."

Kayden was dressed as a zombie soccer player. I saw Jordan was dressed as Batman before he had entered the other car. The two girls and Luke had on the costumes they wore to the dance.

"I'm not dressed in costume either," Seb interjects.

Frowning, I ask, "Why the hell not?"

"I'm too old for costumes, Quinn."

My frown deepens, "How old are you anyway?"

I know that he's older than us, seeing as he doesn't attend our high school, but I never thought to ask or wonder how he and Reece came to become friends in the first place.

"I'm 21," he turns around to look at me in the backseat.

"Oh."

"Disappointed I'm too old for you?" he smirks.

"Hardly," I laugh.

"How do you and Seb know each other anyway?" I quietly ask Reece beside me.

"Our moms used to be best friends so they just paired us together," he replies.

We pull into the parking lot of the haunted house and there are already a few cars parked in front. Luke parks the Camaro beside Kayden's car.

"Too scared, cupcake?" Reece chuckles.

I snort, "No way. Are you?"

"Hell no."

I laugh, and as we get to the door to enter the haunted house, there is a large bulky man standing there. "Its two dollars each to enter."

I sigh, realizing I have no pockets and didn't bring my purse with me.

Reece glances at me after handing the man his fee and chuckles, "Don't worry about it, Cupcake. I already paid for you."

"You paid for me? Why?" I demand.

"Because I noticed you're wearing a dress and don't have a purse. I figured you didn't have any change on you."

"Oh, well thank you," I blush, not realizing he had payed so close attention to me.

"Like I said, don't worry about it."