Chapter ten

"Can I talk to you outside for a second?"

Twisting around in my chair, I look up into a pair of  chocolate brown eyes and hesitantly nod my head.

Reece backs up a step and I look over at my friends. "I'll be right back."

Julia gawks at me with wide eyes, "are you sure?"

"I'll only be gone a minute."

Following Reece out of the cafeteria, we stop next to a row of lockers. Leaning against them exuding pure confidence, he asks, "Do you have any plans tonight?"

My eyes narrow suspiciously, "why?"

"I want to take you to the fight tonight."

My lips part in surprise at his words. "I thought we weren't friends?"

"We're not," he states curtly, "I want you to learn different techniques."

So this is for educational purposes. Not because he wants to be friends; even though I've been warming up to the idea.

I nod slowly, "Okay."

"Be ready at eight," he states bluntly, pushing off of the lockers.

Before I can respond, Reece retreats down the hallway leaving me all alone. Grinning, I shake my head in wonder. Reece has surprised me in more ways than one since moving here, but this takes the cake. I would have never suspected him to take me to where the fights are especially after how he acted when I was there the first time, but he's done the unexpected yet again. Just like how I thought he wasn't going to tell me anything about himself on that first lesson, or how I didn't expect him to defend me in gym class. I wonder what else he has in store for me.

Suddenly a hand appears in front of my face pulling me out of my thoughts and I look up at Jordan.

"What was that about?" he asks.

"What was what about?"

He rolls his eyes, "Reece mysteriously pulls you into the hall and when I find you, you have this creepy smile on your face."

I smack his arm, "my smile is not creepy!"

"Okay, okay," he puts his hands up. "What did he want though?"

I open my mouth to reply, but snap it shut immediately. I told Reece that I wouldn't tell his secret, but I don't want to lie to Jordan either. With the mental battle going on in my head, I completely forgot he was standing in front of me until I feel a poke on my forehead.

My nose scrunches up. "Did you just poke me?"

"If you think too hard, you're going to get wrinkles."

"I'm seventeen. I think I'm fine in the wrinkle department."

"Are you avoiding the question?"

"What question?" I ask innocently.

"Quinn," Jordan whines.

"I'm sorry, Jordan, but I can't tell you."

"Why not?"

"It isn't my business to tell."

He sighs in defeat. "Fine, I guess I understand that."

"Good," I smirk, "I wouldn't want to have to educate you on how to be a good friend."

He rolls his eyes and nudges my shoulder. "Come on, we have to get to class."

***

    I stand back and observe my outfit in the full length mirror hanging from my closet door. I'm hoping I'll fit in with my black jeans, boots, and plain t-shirt. Nodding to myself in approval, I throw my freshly washed hair up into a casual messy bun and reach for my phone on my bed.